We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless access problems around offices

Karnot

Likes # 0

Can anybody help, I am at the end of my tether!
We have 'professional' IT help in setting up our wireless network covering 10 pcs and 2 laptops in 3 offices on the same floor of our building. We started with broadband from TalkTalk Business which came with a D-Link ADSL Router, which is great for the laptop next to it, and shows signal strength of between 2 and 4 bars (where the max is 5 bars) on every PC. These are Compaqs with wireless adapters from BNBlueNext BN-WD54G.
Despite getting signals, most of the PCs refuse to connect.
We were then advised and bought a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point, which meant setting up another wireless network. And still most of the PCs show a signal strength of 2 to 4 bars. Some of these have now connected, but 4 others are steadfastly refusing to connect, and 2 others are up and down like yoyos.
Our IT suppliers take forever to respond to requests for help, breeze in and swan off saying all is OK, but as soon as we touch it we find it is not working. I already know that I need to change my IT support company, but having spent a lot of money, I am reluctant to spend any more with anybody unless I know that they can actually fix the problem, not just releive us of more money. We are a charity, so every penny I lose on this costs in real terms.
Can anybody tell me what to do next please?

Like this post
pchrysler

Likes # 0

you can try some tool to test your wireless networt, suchas [url=click here]wireless network ignition[/url], it can automatically perform the behind-the-scenes functions required to securely establish and maintain your wireless connections using the devices you have in place, and it offers features for managing a wireless network.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm pleased to hear that all is well - feel free to comne back anytime if you hit other problems.

Like this post
Karnot

Likes # 0

Thanks so much for your response - I had my IT guy round this morning, showed him your suggestion, and he went and fixed the problem, it is all working OK now. Thanks so much for helping out - and your assumption is correct, I know nothing!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is one thing - it simply means the computer's wireless adapter has found the router - but connecting to the router depends on the individual machines being able to get an IP address.

Diagnosing network problems can be a frustrating business, but from what you say it seems to me that the problem might be associated with IP addresses. I'm going to assume that you know little or nothing about this, please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Each time a computer tries to connect to a router it needs to be assigned a unique IP address, so the router can identify that particular machine, and send data to it. The IP addressing is handled by the router's own DHCP server, and numbers are assigned on a lease basis - that means they expire after a predermined period. The lease period varies, depending on the router's configuration settings, and you can alter the lease periods to try to help resolve connection problems.

This may not be the cause of your connection difficulties but there's a chance that it is. Ask your IT advisers to extend the router's IP lease period. They'll do this by accessing the router's configuration settings, and if you feel up to it you could try it yourself; you should find instructions in the documentation that came with the router.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?