We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

any suggestion about my site speed and color?

garvins

Likes # 0

BiDigitalFrames.com

That's my first site based on zencart, i do not know too much about site design and development via php, just get help from somebody, then guys told me that's very ugly, which drive me lose courage.

Meanwhile i host my site at Godaddy.com, but it's very slowly to access in China, since our customers're located in North America,and EU, so i just want to know what's your feeling about it?

Appreciate your reply.

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

It uses 10 HTTP requests before counting the images: that's bad practice, totally unnecessary and HTTP requests are a *major* contributor to server response and page load times. Neither the CSS files nor the JS files are minified - omitting that method doesn't help either.

Like this post
garvins

Likes # 0

Thanks Fourm,we also realise what are you mentioned rencently,we'll modify pictures to small,medium,and large types of them all to meet the require of shopping site!

Kemistri,i'm not very sure about what you said,but i'll try to figure it out with our developer applying with your suggestion.

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

In basic terms, HTTP requests are made by browsers every time they need to fetch a file (of any kind) that has not already been requested and consequently cached (excepting users who disable caching). This includes CSS, JS and images (including any that are called by the CSS or JS rather than the HTML files).

This is why we typically follow this best practice:

- Use only one or two stylesheets and keep conditional stylesheets to a sensible minimum. Never more than one stylesheet - plus any conditionals - for the index page.

- Use one or two JS files and if you use a library (as most of us do now) call it from Google APIs instead of your own server.

- Minify all code when it is ready to be published. This means removing any unnecessary spaces, returns, empty lines, etc. Minfiying tools and websites are widely available.

- Learn how to write really efficient code that does what you want with less. Use a good JS library for that purpose. It applies to PHP as well.

- Be careful with CSS structure - don't repeat declarations unnecessarily by keeping specificity to a minimum.

- Avoid calling files with @import if at all possible. Evidence shows that it is less efficient.

- Use a good quality hosting provider whose servers are reputed to be quick and reliable. Particularly important if there is a lot of server-side code (eg. PHP).

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

And I forgot to include the point that browsers make only two HTTP requests concurrently and therefore have to queue them.

Like this post
garvins

Likes # 0

i'd say that's very detailed instructions.

let's sum it up:
1.keep it simple and efficient when design our site,including CSS and JS;
2.choose a better hoster for our site to improve the speed;
3.minish the size of the pictures showed in main page.

Do i get the point?

PS:any comments about Godaddy?we're considering changing hoster,what's the better choice?

Appreciate your advice a mass!

regards,
schumi

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

I don't know how good godaddy is, but i use Justhost. So far, they have been cheap and reliable, offering unlimited storage space as well as unlimited domains to run through your account. Worth checking out if you are considering changing.

Love the site by the way. Purely from a 'user' standpoint it looks great!

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

I always advise against cheap hosts that offer unlimited storage and/or bandwidth because you are competing against websites that, for one reason or another, demand that kind of freedom.

You have to question whether a cheap host can afford to invest in the kind of infrastructure that is needed to make such offers without noticeably impacting on performance for all of its customers while more expensive hosts set restrictions. Experience has shown that it's wise to avoid "cheap with no limits".

Like this post
garvins

Likes # 0

Hi,Buzzard,that's really good news,thanks your words very much!

Dear Kemistri,appreciate all your words that you have given.

i'd say i agree with you much, i won't host my site somewhere just because it's cheap or anything else,i must take speed,after service and stability in consideration,and above all,i only get what i really need!and pay what i should!

thanks you all!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'