We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Registering a German domain

TW7heaven

Likes # 0

Hi - I want to register a .de domain and am looking for any advice by people who have experience in regestering German domains.
I have read that you need a contact in Germany to register the domain....is that correct? Also anyone recommend a decent company to register the site? I have seen it can cost £49 a year which is fine. i also need to get the domain redirected to the .com address we own so how can that work? does the doamin company set up the re-direct?
Any help appreciated

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

Yes, you need a nominated registrant who is domiciled in Germany.

But you also need to use a server located in Germany if you intend to use the redirected .de domain name to market the website to Germany. For that, the TLD is somewhat moot and the website's IP address is what really matters in localised searches.

Like this post
HighTower

Likes # 0

I've used these guys for German (and other European) domain names and they have been very attentive and on the ball:

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow