We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freelance Web Designer Advice

qt1923

Likes # 0

I am a recent university graudate in Multimedia Technology. For the past 6 months I have been doing work experience. I have built a website for a company, and done work experience in a web design company where I built a website for a client. My experiecne in web design include phtoshop, dreamweaver, xhtml, css, javascript, php & mysql (building a cms/forms/logins) and using joomla.

I am interested in becoming a freelance web designer but need some advice on it all. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

With my skills would it be a good idea to do freelance? Should I do more work experience? Is freelance web designing better than working in a company, what are the pros and cons? How much should I charge, should I charge less because I am a new web designer? Where could I find clients (I have looked on sites like reed.co.uk and freelancers.net)? What sort of resources will I need (I have my own pc with the required software)? Would I need to use contracts? Would I need to set this up as a business (I already have an online portfolio) or could it be like temp jobs? How would I be taxed?

Thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

at the best of times, and by setting up as a freelance web designer you'll be joining an army of others, all competing in the same market.

To be a successful freelance designer you must be good - clients can pick and choose, and unless you have some design flair all the technical expertise in the world isn't going to put enough bread on the table. That's where a degree of self-appraisal comes in, you must look at lots of successful sites and ask yourself 'could I come up with something that looks that good?'

Then it's down to marketing - you'll need to get yourself noticed, and one way of doing it is to design and publish your own site, on which you can showcase your skills. Otherwise you'll want to get busy networking - make as many contacts as you can, and become a self-publicist; hand out cards to anyone you think might be useful, and mention your service at every opportunity. It's very hard work - I know, I started that way myself, many years ago - but if you keep at it, and you're good enough, work will come your way.

fourm member's advice about getting some work experience with a big company is sound. The problem is, the industry isn't exactly booming at the moment,and there are more job hunters than jobs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer