We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on new website structure

VNAM75

Likes # 0

I have a 60 slide powerpoint file which I want to put on a new website. Its too big to email at 12mb. The file contains text annotations of images (jpeg)of screenshots (excel workings), and has 3 sections/chapters.
What is the quickest way to transfer them over to a new website? I need each slide to be put on one webpage. My intital thoughts are:

- Save the whole file as an htm/html file and export it over. This is unlikely to work. I've tried saving just one slide as a webpage and it doesn't open in firefox.

- Import the images of each slide into separate webpages. Could I import the text as well?

- Take a screen capture of each slide (which has multiple screenshots) and save as an image, then import into the webpage That way I only have to deal with one image per webpage rather than importing several images, positioning them, annotating them etc. I'm tempted by this option but will it work? The main drawback is I can't edit it. Suppose I could recreate/add more images in powerpoint and take a fresh screenshot!

Page/site structure

On each page I need navigation buttons to go to the next page, the previous page, the home page and the start of the section page/subhome page? eg. go back to the start of the chapter not the home contents page. What do I use and where do I position them?

I don't need anything else on the website. I'm using netobjects. Will I be able to host this site for free considering the size of the powerpoint file I'm basing it on (12mb)? Can I use my own isp (virgin) or a free web host?

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

Aside from the fact that you could Zip it up to make it (probably) small enough to e-mail, here's my preferred solution to your problem of the website build: click here

That is not only the best content management framework around, but also one of the easiest and most flexible. It would really ease your problem of creating lots of pages for images.

Incidentally, it is possible to convert a Powerpoint slideshow into a Flash app, in case that interests you.

The finer points of site structure and nav is open to interpretation, varies by project, etc. etc. Kind of like "how long is a piece of string?" With more time to spare, I could give that my full attention, but my head's mostly filled with jQuery development tonight!

Free hosting... that's tricky because it is so restrictive, understandably. Time to check the small print and do the sums.

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Kemistri, thanks. I've decided to create a basic site structure in netobjects and it works fine for what I need. Your link looks interesting, not what I need, but may be useful in future.

Whats jquery? Sounds complicated! Are you a web developer?

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

jQuery is a JavaScript library - the best of them all, I think. And yes, I'm a pro.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback