We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Creating my first website

RyanTech

Likes # 0

I am looking into creating a website for my explore scout unit.
my exp is about nill but i have got dreamweaver (MX 2004) and played about with that
now this site doesn't need to be any great, but some things are needed
as in there needs to be a unit members only area that needs a login to get to so i need to know how do this. This is about the one MUST. other things that would be great are download documents.in terms of media i can see a lot of pictures powerpoint presents and video wanting to go on there so i would need to know the best way to do this

if any abouts got snysuggest of other programes that i could use that would help with any of this it would be must helpful

thanks

I have created the same topic on another website
here is the link to see what some other people have suggested
click here

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

Hi Kemistri - could you post a link in this thread when you publish your article please?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In the meantime, there are lots of articles and sources of information about domain name selection and management on the internet.

Here's one that is fairly comprehensive:-

click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

out there, and thousands that are not quite as good.

You're going to be hosting one site for your scout group, so it's not necessary to provide advice in quite the same way as would be the case if you were contemplating hosting multiple names and sites.

I've used most of the well-known hosts on behalf of my clients over the years, and some that are not so well known, and one of the things I've learnt is that there's no such thing as the perfect host. I've used companies in america - where I do a fair amount of my work - and in Europe, and they all have their strngths and weaknesses.

What you'll need is a host that provides a rapid and friendly support service, because as a novice to site and domain name management you'll need help along the way - it's inevitable, and you should plan for it.

You're not running an e-commerce site, or one that has to market a product or service - your site will primarily be of interest to a fairly limited audience - and much of the information about domain name management will be of little interest. I suggest that you concentrate on finding a hosting package that feels right to you, and that fits your budget. I have used HeartInternet for a number of years to host a collection of my clients commercial sites, and to date have received excellent service. You might take a look at what they have to offer:-

click here

Other forum members will have their own recommendations.

Your choice of domain name should be fairly straighforward - just a question of finding one that's available and registering it via your chosen host. You're based in the UK so you'll want to register either .org.uk or a .co.uk name for your unit, which will be a very simple and inexpensive process. The main Scoutbase UK site is on a .org.uk name, so I imagine you will follow the same principle.

Once you've established your hosting package you'll register the name, and shortly afterwards (usually within 24 hours) you'll be able to upload a test site to your server space. It's a satisfying moment, and something to look forward to.

Let us know when you need any further help - we'll look forward to hearing that you have your name and your hosting account. Buying a book about site design can come later - you don't need to worry too much about that at this stage if your budget is a little tight.

One final point - your scouts will be aged between 14 and 18 years, and the chances are that at least one of them may know a little about website design and hosting; It's worth asking.

Like this post
RyanTech

Likes # 0

'qoute' One final point - your scouts will be aged between 14 and 18 years, and the chances are that at least one of them may know a little about website design and hosting; It's worth asking.'

Yea-that person is me;)

Like this post
RyanTech

Likes # 0

ok well I have my chosen web host
click here
I going to buy a domian name at some point, when looking at domian sellers they offer offer other things with them what I don't no If i really need so could do with some help in finding a company where i can just buy the domain name I want for a little as possible

I will buy this book click here

Now it turns that my unit may be getting a grant what will pay for the website so that means I can buy things so can you guys also help with what will I will likely have to pay out for

out of the things that escouts offer what do you think I'll need-i.e for making member ship area etc

Like this post
RyanTech

Likes # 0

well with them I can you a sullplies one what would be myname.escout.org.uk
but I don't want the escouts part and as I can have my own domain name with them I think I will

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...