We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing site appearance

griffo

Likes # 0

I have an existing site (not made by me and don't know what software was used), which I would like to change the appearance of - colour scheme mostly.

I have downloaded it into Dreamweaver to make some changes but can I change the colour scheme there or will I need to use other software? If so, will the pages transfer and be workable?

Sorry if it's a naive question.

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

it depends, is the website using cssm, in which case you will just have to change the css file. if the coloured bits on your page are pictures you will need to edit them in graphics software

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

thanks for the response - excuse my ignorance but how do I tell if the site uses cssm? I can only see one file in DW that ends in .css the others are .html

Like this post
tims31

Likes # 0

If it has a .css file then it will be styled using a Cascading style sheet (CSS). Open the css file in dreamweaver and look at the properties for each individual element. If you are new to all this I would recommend reading up on styling using css. If you have a copy of the site stored locally on your hard drive then you could change a few properties and then preview them if you are only looking to change a few colors sorry colours and maybe the font style etc.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

thanks - it only has one .css file and that only shows code, no design. All the rest are .html files and I haven't found any way of changing the colours.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Do I take it that, without .css files, I can't change things like background colours on our web pages?

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

You only need one .css file. The 'code' determines the site's appearance.

An example of css code:

body {
background-color:#31597D;
color:#2F4F4F;
font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
font-size:10pt;
margin:0;
padding:0 0 20px;
}

This code is setting the colours, fonts and spacing of the 'body' element of the page. Other elements will have their own section.

This link ( click here ) gives some good information about CSS.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply. The one .css file I have just shows this:

BODY
{
COLOR: 62a052;
BACKGROUND-COLOR: #FEF6BD;
FONT: Verdana;
}
table { background-color: #62A052; font-family: Verdana; color: #FFFFFF }
th { font-size: 14pt; color: #fef6bd; font-family: Verdana }
h2 { color: #0e4700; font-family: Verdana }
tbody { color: #FFFFFF; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10pt }
h1 { color: #0e4700; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 20pt }

Does that mean I can make some changes that would alter all pages in the same way?

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

griffo, sorry typo there it was .css not cssm

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

also responce to your last entry, yes if you edit the colours in there your pages appearence will change.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens!

Is there somewhere I can see a colour chart with the codes, so that I know what to change them to?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......