We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Import site into Dreamweaver

griffo

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me how to import one of my existing sites into Dreamweaver CS3 please? I have FTP access to my sites but have limited knowledge (not designed by me and don't know what software was used).

I am hoping to work on the site in DW to modernise/upgrade it, then get it checked by an expert before trying to upload it to replace the existing site.

Like this post
Williamabc

Likes # 0

Create a new file on the desktop give it a name this now is your ‘Root Folder’.

Open Dreamweaver go to Site> New Site > when window pops up in the Site name: name it same as root folder.

Then in the local root folder box click on yellow folder navigate to your desktop ‘Root Folder’ click into it and then hit select - then go to category on the left select ‘Remote info’.

Then across to the access window select FTP Fill in the required information. Then on a main page in Dreamweaver to the right select Remote View and then you can select the little box underneath which will take you to a screen that a split down the middle on the one on the left is the server where your website is located and on the right is your local files.

On the left side of the screen at the top navigation tools there is a green arrow Get Files select - your files will now download from the server to the right side of the screen when this is done select the box in the top window again and you go back to your Dreamweaver workspace. Hope this helps.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your clear and comprehensive instructions - most helpful.

Site 1 now downloaded and showing in Local View. I just need to learn how to drive DW now!

Like this post
Williamabc

Likes # 0

Great Stuff! With reference to learning to drive DW you might want to take a look at click here it’s an on line training site. Or take a look at You Tube Video.

click here select video> Type Training Dreamweaver in the search window it’s all FREE – have fun!!

William.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Ancilliary question if I may?

I now have the current website successfully imported into DW (thanks again Williamabc) and have managed to make a minor update and successfully upload it.

There is a calculator on the site which has stopped working and I want to try to fix it.

I have an old download of the site saved on my PC, from a time when this calculator was working and it occurs to me that I may spot the problem if I can compare the code on the relevant page?

Can anyone please tell me if it's possible to import the old download into DW, saved under a different name, to facilitate this?

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Managed to view the 'old' code and sort that problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before