We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any alternatives to photoshop ?

quitiraq

Likes # 0

And does this adobe product REALLY cost $699 to buy?

I simply need to edit avatars (animated and otherwise) and would be very grateful for advice. Free and idiot-proof options are the ones my pocket likes best.

Thanks to anyone who can spare the time to share their knowledge with me.

Like this post
Diodorus Siculus

Likes # 0

The GIMP is a free alternative which is as powerful. click here

Paint.net is very good, free and will do what you want: click here

Like this post
Diodorus Siculus

Likes # 0

click here for working with animated gifs and paint.net

Like this post
quitiraq

Likes # 0

Thanks very much Diodorus (who was he btw? I've heard of BiggusDi**us ... but Siculus is a new one to me;)

I'll try them out. I found a site called Picnik but speed reading, couldn't find any Avatar references.

Cheers,
quitiraq

Like this post
tobyb121

Likes # 0

To be honest photoshop isn't the best for editing animated gifs it can create them fine, but adobe make you buy fireworks to edit them, even though photosop is capable of doing itand can be tricked into it, it will not do it natively.
GIMP is often regarded as the best free image editor, so will probably be your best bet.

Like this post
quitiraq

Likes # 0

Cheers Toby, I'll g'ie it a go. Hopefully animated avatars apply too. Thanks for the v. welcome guidance.

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

paint shop pro animation studio was good for animation i thought and its cheaper than adobe software

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

Serif Photo Plus is good and older versions can be purchased quite cheap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......