We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lacie Extreme 1TB hard drive problem

ccuk

Likes # 0

I have a Lacie 1TB Extreme hard drive.

I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Business 32 bit operating system, I disconnected the drive set up the machine, re connected the drive and all should be well! But not so.

At first I thought it was a Vista problem but anow notice the mains supply is buzzing badly and affecting the start up of the drive.

First I think I need a new mains adaptor/power supplier. Maybe the problem is Vista also?

Has anyone experienced similar?

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new mains adaptor?

Thank you

Sandra

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Does the Drive still work on the old PC?

Have you tried the PSU in a different Socket?

Did you "Close down" the Drive before unplugging it?

Like this post
ccuk

Likes # 0

Hello wee eddie

Thank you for your response

It is an external drive

It worked on the PC up until moving but won't work now

The plug has been tried in several sockets.

ooops no the drive wasn't closed down before unplugging although it wasn't in use at the time of unplugging

There is quite a loud buzzing from the transformer, the drive appears to want to start but won't do so. The blue light at the front does come on.

Any suggestions please.

Sandra

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

it may have been in use when you unplugged.

Your OS may have been checking the Drive at the time you unplugged. What, if anything, you can do about it is outside my Knowledge Base. Others may be able to help on that.

Like this post
ccuk

Likes # 0

Hello Eddie

I have a horrible feeling that you have a horrible feeling!!! What are you thinking?

I don't have access to the unit to reformat the drives.

Fortunately the drive is only for back up purposes so data is not the problem just access to a working unit

Sandra

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

if it was scanning when you unplugged it, the heads will have crashed.

I don't know how to recover from such a problem. Usually people just throw the Drive away as the cost of recovering the data, which is possible, far exceeds the cost of a replacement drive.

Like this post
ccuk

Likes # 0

How can I know if it is the drives inside or the unit itself or for that matter the PSU?

Thank you

Sandra

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

From what you say, the drive is failing to initiate when powered on - the drive isn't spinning up -is that what's happening? If there's a power light on the drive it looks hopeful.

Buzzing noises from transformers are never a happy sign - do you have access to another transformer of the correct output rating?

Like this post
ccuk

Likes # 0

I would say the drive is probably 6 months old

No I don't have another PSU and wondered where I might buy one.

Yes, the light is on that tells me power is there but it is not spinning up and gurgles a bit as if it wants to start. I switched off and unplugged it so as to not cause further damage

Sandra

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

like a drive with a problem, and if you cut the power suddenly it's just possible that the read/write heads didn't have time to park, and 'skated' onto the disc surfaces.

You can try buying a new Power Supply unit, but if you have a power-on light on the drive now it may not solve the problem.

Like this post
pasalisbury

Likes # 0

Hello - I've been running a Lacie 1TB disc everyday for 3 years now and today it didn't boot - yesterday it started to tick but started up eventually giving me time to back up.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part? I'm guessing it one of the 500mb drives inside.

Any ideas welcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone