We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need some advice on a career move!

spoony1980

Likes # 0

hey guys,

ok so this is my first post and was just trying to sound out some advice and here im hoping is the place...

I currently am a full time electrician but am considering doing some night schooling etc as would mind advancing into computer repair , diagnostics etc and was wondering if anyone knew of any courses available or which are the right ones to get started of on?? i know that this is a pretty vague question but i cant really find that much information on it and keen to get started, as everything seems to be aimed at people coming out of university with computing degrees... and altho i know my way around a computer and am pretty good at diagnosing problems i fear that i would need to start from the beginning so basically any advice from someone that has been there or who can reccomend a course would be greatly appreciated

thanks again

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Be very wary of Distance Learning Courses. We have a whole raft of people that have signed up for this, and that, only to find that the material was outdated and the cost prohibitive.

Your local Tech (College of Further Education) or whatever our Government currently calls them, should be your first point of contact.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

offering to work in your local computer shop free of charge for a few hours a week, in return for some hands-on experience and tuition?

Often these shops are desperate for some help, and the people who run them are usually pretty friendly and knowledgeable.

I share wee eddie's caution with regard to some distance learning courses - there are some good ones, but others aren't always what they seem to be at the outset. Be careful before parting with any cash.

Like this post
spoony1980

Likes # 0

ahhh ok i basically had come to that conclusion about those distant learning courses as well as i just find it hard to believe that they would be as good as they say they are and esp at how expensive they are... my question tho really is.. what sort of course should i be looking at doing ...

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

CompTIA A+, Network+ to start with - click here
click here

Very basic but good to have under your belt.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK