We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ISPs and free website hosting

Jim Thing

Likes # 0

I've been with my present ISP for years — since the days when most of its staff and clientele used to get together for a drink every Friday night. The company's customer service was knowledgeable, polite and largely conducted on first-name terms, and I was entirely happy with the whole arrangement.

However, the company was bought out some years ago when the local commercial TV giant decided it wanted to get into the internet game and made its founder an offer he couldn't refuse. Since then it has grown greatly and, in the process, has developed many of the problems that seem to afflict larger organisations: the quality of service is no longer what it was; the familiar, friendly voices on the tech support line have all disappeared, and to cap it all, better deals are now available elsewhere. As a result of all this I'm considering jumping ship.

My problem is that this ISP hosts my strictly non-profit website (approx. 750MB total) for free. So I'm wondering: do other ISPs offer a similar service or is it a rare survivor from a time before maximising profit at any cost became the name of the game? I haven't seen it listed in any of the ISP comparison charts I've seen up to now.

I'd be grateful for any relevant information.

Thanks — and a Happy New Year everyone.

Like this post
Jim Thing

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your flattering comments — you make me blush!

I hesitated before I decided to stick my original post in the Consumerwatch forum, because it's not really web _design_ is it? However I'll be happy for FE to move the thread if he sees fit.

Neither of your links worked for me, by the way — but I'm intrigued as I don't recognise the filenames...

Thanks again
Jim.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

1956 & later
Last two links lhs list.

Regards

Like this post
Jim Thing

Likes # 0

Thanks for spotting those duff links — both due to coding errors (see what I mean?). Sorted now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

in our Web design forum, and I'll move it over there now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

in Google Chrome, which I'm using at the moment, and the code is, as you say, an interesting mix, but the site appears to work well enough. It's undoubtedly an invaluable resource for anyone who attended your school, and I can see it's been a labour of love.

I hope you have everything carefully backed up before you even contemplate a move. Uploading 750Mb of stuff to a new server space is a somewhat daunting prospect, and I would strongly advise you to use a professional hosting company.

Like this post
Jim Thing

Likes # 0

"Your navigation system doesn't work so well
in Google Chrome [...] and the code is [...] an interesting mix, but the site appears to work well enough."

What a tactful chap you are, FE. Here's me been thinking of writing a book called 'HTML — How Not To'...

To be honest, I found it quite enough of a challenge to teach myself how to code for a website that worked with IE6, let alone any of the less common browsers. Also my website is of little or no interest to anyone outside a fast-dwindlng group of people in their 70s and 80s who, like me, use one of the flavours of Internet Explorer because it came with the computer they bought from PC World, and who wouldn't know what to do with Google Chrome, Firefox or Opera if it bit them on the bum. Much as I'd love to accommodate every available browser I decided that, in our particular circumstances, life's too short.

In any case, I'm beginning to think that jumping ship from my current ISP may not be such a smart idea after all. Apart from anything else it would involve amending most of 1400 pages in order to remove a 'munged' e-mail address (which seemed to deter the spam-mongers for a year or two but no longer does).

But if nobody minds, I'll leave the thread open for a while in case Taff™ or anyone else comes up with a brilliant solution.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

as far as the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' philosophy goes, and frankly for someone who is a self-taught html coder you've done pretty well.

The site is a classic example of something that has grown organically in response to user demand, and as such it's a fine example of precisely what the internet is there for - to disseminate information to lots of people in the place and at the time that suits them.

How much technical support have you tended to need from your current host - do you usually roll along without the need for help, or are you asking for support on a fairly regular basis?

There's a reason for my question.

Like this post
Jim Thing

Likes # 0

When I first became interested in the internet I was on the phone to my ISP's support people once or twice a week with general newbie-type questions. Nowadays I phone them only when a problem occurs, in order to check whether it's at their end or mine ("Is your freebie website server down at present?" for example). I've never phoned them about anything relevant to web design.

Is that the sort of reply you meant?

Thanks for kind words.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more