We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First server setup - gateway question

brundle

Likes # 0

Small office, peer to peer at the moment, all with internet access. Is it usual to use the server as the internet gateway for all office machines instead of the switch/router combination they use now so that traffic all goes via the server? Server 2003 SBS, if it makes any difference. In addition, is using DHCP best for a small network of 8 machines or will static addresses be more suitable?

Like this post
Tech Guy

Likes # 0

If you have a client/server setup then you can use the server as a firewall but it is easier to use the switche/s and a router with ACLs setup instead of a firewall.

Server 2003 SBS is not cheap so it may be wise to look into Linux? Linux is much better than MS server 2003.

Connect all clients and server/s to a good switch e.g. Cisco 2950 and then to a Cisco SOHO router

Yes use DHCP, either by the server or even better by the router but it is simplier use and easier to troubleshoot.

Remember just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, best keep it simple, esp if you are admin!

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Thanks - I work for a small charity, so no Cisco kit, just a Netgear smartswitch and a domestic ADSL router. We got SBS at a huge discount, I considered using SMEServer but I know even less about Linux than I do Windows Server. Plenty to learn, either way. The books I have on Server describe all the processes involved to set things up step by step, but little in the way of recommendations or best practice. Thanks again.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

click here and check your charitable status to see if you can register. If your organisation is deemed eligible, you will then be able to order. CTxchange Partners are Microsoft, Symantec and Cisco.

Navigate to 'Getting Started/Eligible Criteria' to see if you can gain access to some very cheap equipment both software and hardware.

Good luck

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Late reply, thankyou recap - that's who we got our SBS from - I've been passing the details on to all the organisations we deal with that might eligible - they did us proud. I wish more items could be ordered at once though, I'd have had a Cisco router....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK