We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost Google listing

Pathologist

Likes # 0

For some years now I have part of my web site devoted to the Origin of English Sayings. It was housed on my then ISP's servers and attracted several 100 visits per week, often via Google searches. In June last year I changed ISP and moved my web things to their server; I posted a notice on the old ISP server that my site had moved, along with the new link. Google still found my site, but almost always with the old address. As the months went by this continued until, a few weeks ago, my link page on my old ISP was taken down. Since then the Google visits have dropped dramatically to just a few per week and Google doesn't seem to list the new address, even though it's more than a year old; other search engines find the site with ease.
I don't really have an idea of what's going on, although it has been suggested that there must be many 'dead links' to my old site, which was regularly quoted elsewhere. I would welcome ideas/help/solution, etc!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is that this should be in our Webdesign forum, and I'm going to move it over now.

Then I'll comment on your problem, as will others, I'm sure.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

will point to the domain name on which your site was published, and if that was not your own unique domain name, but a sub-domain on your ISP server it's the reason why your site traffic has tailed off.

If you really want to run a site properly, and attract the maximum attention, you will need to register a domain name, and have it hosted by a proper web host. It isn't necessarily an expensive operation, and it will avoid this kind of problem. Google will find and list your site within a short space of time. It will probably find it where it is, once you've addressed the problem of any dead reciprocal links.

Like this post
gavinhodges00

Likes # 0

Google updates indexing of sites not regularly , so after indexing your old url , the google crawler not visited your old url again ,one's google crawler will revisit the site then only google will remove your old url from its list .

Like this post
Pathologist

Likes # 0

Thanks for your helpful replies, especially the one about sitemaps.
I haven't been mainly concerned about the drop in google hits, more why and how it happened. Google does find my site, but only half way down page 6 of its lists. Yahoo and Ask both list me high up on page 1. I find this odd, but with the help of the advice you've given, I think I'm beginning to work things out.

Like this post
Sebsworld

Likes # 0

I recommend you signup and look at Google webmasters tools click here

Once you signup, and added in your website, it will soon tell you if Google has any problems with your website.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...