We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good Joomla hosting package

tims31

Likes # 0

Hi,
I have been asked to help set up a site for a local Church which is used as a source of information and also a place that they can download sermons. (Each one is about 5-8mb)

As they wish to be able to edit and add content themselves I thought Joomla would be the best for their needs. The long and short is I tried uploading what I had done to my hosting package to test it (streamline.net) and couldn't get it on there. After reading around it appears that Streamline is very difficult (if not impossible) to get the Joomla package onto!

Can anyone please recommend a good and reasonable hosting package for this site. It would need to probably have a couple of gb of storage and maybe 1gb of traffic a month. They would also like to have email forwarding.

I have guessed around £5.00 a month but can anyone please recommend from experience.

I will also be leaving streamline now thanks to their lack of support to this.

Thanks in advance

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

try click here $3.95 a month and can install joomla with 1 click!

Like this post
PC Advisor Fan

Likes # 0

click here and you can automaticlty install it

Like this post
Dragonfly2

Likes # 0

On another forum I read that "Google Sites" is good. Have a look at click here, it's a website for a church in Swansea. I don't know if it has what you're looking for.

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

ok then a uk company based in london click here

hope this help has 1 click install too

Like this post
gerri-atrick

Likes # 0

I use 1 and 1 for all my drupal sites ......never had a problem or any downtime :) problem being u need a host that allows databases and php and the lowest on 1 and 1 is the bussiness package at £8.99 PM, but by adding adsense of affiliate adverts that covers the cost or even get a local business to sponsor the site - stay clear of the cheap hosts and always check before you sign up for a year u do get at least one database and php5.

Never tried joomla ...is it any good ? when it came to the choice i chose drupal, would like to know if i made the correct choice ;)

Like this post
tims31

Likes # 0

Thanks for all that. I will have a look and see what seems the best. I would prefer a UK host just in case I run into any problems.

I am just getting into Joomla and as a CMS website it seems to be very good. There is a whole load of free templates for it to allow for customisation but will also be taking a look at how to change the default one once I get time. Installing it as well as XAMMP as a local server allows you to develop the site before publishing live.

Like this post
tims31

Likes # 0

Plus for anyone interested....I finally used e-noise for the site hosting and they have been excellent throughout.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and for the green tick.

Like this post
Martin_y

Likes # 0

Oh, I wish I'd found this before I embarked on my failed quest to install Joomla with streamline. Streamline have a limit of 1 minute process time (sic), so you cant even unzip your Joomla package on their server.

I tried doing ftp of every folder and file, and I still had problems. So I made about 20 zip files, uploaded one by one, and unzipped one by one - still I couldnt get Joomla to work. I installed my database on my local pc and used a local server (Xampp), installed joomla, and everything works perfectly. I am pretty sure I am tied into them for a year, so I will just put up an html and redirect to my new hosting provider, I will try e-noise.

About 40 hours (and £72) wasted with streamline so far!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...