We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transfer Domain name

Star*

Likes # 0

Hi, my domain name and hosting is with the same company and recently both was due for renewal. I noticed that the company had a new cheaper hosting package which comes with a free Doman name so I asked if I could take this up and use my existing domain name as part of the free domain name offer. They said it was fine and would sort it out. However, when I tried to upload my website again after the renewal process, the company told me that my domain name had expired and need to pay to renew it. I told them it was suppose to be free with the new hosting package, but they are now saying that the free domain offer is not allowed for existing domain names, only new ones.

Anyway, I thought about transfering my domain name to another cheaper company, but realised the existing company will charge me £15 transfer fee. Also the existing company are now urging me to renew the domain name otherwise it will go into a 'redemption period' and would cost £100 to get the name back. Which I don't quite understand as i thought when a domain name has expired, is it not then available on the market? can someone explain the procedure? So now I don't know what I should do. Any advice will be much appreciated! Sorry for long message!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

you should renew the name immediately, otherwise you'll lose your registration, and the name will become available to anyone.

You don't mention which high level your domain name belongs to, but in the case of Nominet assigned names the suspension periods following registration expiry are as follows:

Seven days after registration expiry you (or the billing contact whose name is recorded on the registration) will receive an invoice from Nominet, which must be paid within a further 30 days if renewal is to be guaranteed. At the end of the 30 days the name will go into a 60-day suspension period. Once that period expires the name will become available to anyone (including you) for a new registration.

Like this post
Star*

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your responses.
My '.com' domain name is with Easyspace. I haven't been happy with their customer service, but anyway speaking to them about the renewal I realised another thing is that they had been charging me £24 for 1yr registration when it should be for 2yrs. They said that there was a mistake in the set up of my account and will look into it and give me free registration for the year they owe me. I hope they keep their word this time.

Btw, do most companies charge a transfer fee for moving domain names away from their company? I guess I just need to read the small print carefully next time. Thanks again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home