We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reselling.... should I take the plunge?

IClaudio

Likes # 0

Reselling has often been mentioned hereabouts, but is it a profitable business?

I'm semi-retired and not looking to make a fortune, or even a living, but I'm happy to invest a couple of hundred pounds a year on a Reseller Account if I can recoup that amount and maybe make a little pin money on top.

I realize that several people here (FE, Taran and Hightower among others) have been Resellers for several years and obviously doing well, but is there room still in the market?

Heart Internet, e.g., make it look a simple business to run, but has anyone more realistic advice?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I started reselling because of the nature of my work - I needed a system whereby I could offer clients a one-stop-shop in terms of web design, hosting, and email services, and reselling was the answer.

At its simplest it's very straightforward - you offer people domain name registration and hosting packages, and hope that they'll sign up. Unfortunately it doesn't stay that simple for long - you'll be involved in servicing the clients around the clock, 365 days of the year, and where websites and email are concerned people don't like to be kept waiting for very long - they need answers, and they need them quickly.

It helps to know a bit about server configurations and domain name administration, and you definitely need a good service provider - modern data centre facilities with 24/7/365 monitoring and redundancy. The very last thing you want is for a server to go down and stay down on a Friday evening before a public holiday.

I know of nobody who makes serious money as a reseller - I certainly don't, but then I didn't go into it with that in mind. You can certainly make some money if you work at it, but it is hard work - the competition is fierce.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, FE, pretty much as I thought!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)