We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New business tips

Legolas

Likes # 0

I have been recently made redundant and although I am looking for another job I am also considering trying my hand at selling on ebay.

Now I am not naive enough to think it is just a matter of buying some stock and selling it for a profit and watch the money roll in. But I do think that with the right approach and strategy coupled with a bit of good old luck I could grow a business.

I have never been involved with sales apart from selling a few items on ebay in the past, so what do others think and does anyone have any tips for a new wet behind the ears entrepreneur.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Seems a bit pointless posting on "Legolas's" old thread.

Why not start your own!

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Being single (again), I shall enjoy 'that' season with a large bottle of Scottish beverage, an excess of chocolate, my choice of television and/or rather loud music and a firmly closed door.

Bah, humbug!

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Thanks for your good wishes. I have a few things that have not sold so I will not put them up for sale again till nearer the time that we cannot mention. I am hoping it will be nice and busy at that time of the year.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Well, it's approaching the time of year when things in that line should go well (I'm not allowed to mention the 'C' word until at least 25th November according to he with the silver mouse!).

I continue to wish you good luck with it.

CtA

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

It has hands and a face and can tell the time ;) Good sellers especially for the children. Other types of jewellery also. At the moment I am not making a fortune but I am beginning to build up a portfolio of what sells and what doesn't. As I said a bit of trial and error.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I'm so glad, for you, that things look as though are starting to work for you.

Any vague hints (without advertising) what sort of stuff your selling?

CtA

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response. I have yet to experience a non payer and I know ebay has a pretty robust system in place for non paying bidders.

To all that responded to this thread I have started selling stuff on ebay and it is beginning to pick up. The main problem is finding out what sells and what does not, I admit I have wasted a bit of money in trial and error. I have got some good contacts and suppliers so feel that is half the battle. I also have some returning buyers so must be doing something right. Here's to my first million ;¬)

Like this post
ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

I don,t know much about how thing are done on e-bay but I do know a bit about Business and the things that can go wrong.
first and Foremost make sure you get paid .
i can speak from personal experience
Under no circumstances be soft like I was
good luck

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I hope it goes well (and smoothly) for you.

CtA

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Thanks again for taking the time over my questions. I think I will go for the first one to start with and then go from there, I sometimes get a bit muddled if I get to much info in to short a time, is my age you see ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...