We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fax by Email

monkiheed

Likes # 0

Hi,

I would like to do away with my arcane fax machine. Ideally I'd like to be able to send and receive faxes by email yet keep my existing fax number (it's on all the stationery). Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

about sending faxes via the internet, there are dozens of software applications that will do it.

Check this one out - it's from a well-known and reputable company: click here

Like this post
monkiheed

Likes # 0

It is unclear whether this software actually allows you to keep your existing fax number, which is what I'm looking for.

In addition, I would ideally like any user on my network to be able to send faxes without having to pay for umpteen software licences. Does such a solution exist?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Scan the item you wish to send and then insert the result in an e-mail.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you had to Print it first ~ Why could you not send the original file in an e-mail

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The Scan will produce a document that you can e-mail.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

e-mail does not go to a Telephone number.

It goes, from the Sender, to your ISP who then forward it to your Computer's IP address.

Although you may be using Telephone Cables for the Signal to be transmitted, I'm fairly certain the an e-mail has no knowledge of the Telephone Number of the line upon which it travels.

Like this post
monkiheed

Likes # 0

Soooooo . . . . . .

the answer will be no then, will it?!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You will, of course, need to keep your Fax Machine and possibly the Number as well, so that you can receive Faxes from those that wish to send them.

However it will be quicker and cheaper for you to send the Scan of your Document by Inserting it into an e-mail.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

that your Scanner has been supplied with.

It may be able to convert the File to a PDF, before sending, which is probably the optimum option

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you need to receive faxes as well then you will need a fax program (built into XP) and a fax modem on your computer - built in to some computers but not all, an external fax/voice modem is cheap at about £20.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad