We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Startup Business - Hardware advice

chrismacq

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am starting a new recruitment company which will have it's own website and database eventually.

one of our first purchases will be laptops + docking stations for the consultants (5)

Can you suggest the best options for under £600 each.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is to wonder why you'll need docking stations. If your consultants are going to take these machines on the road could you not simply run a wireless network - or even a cabled one - with a central server, and let them connect to that when they're in the office?

My choice as far as laptops for corporate clients goes always tends to be Toshiba or Dell - they are my personal preferences, and you'll have no problem picking machines from either at your price-point.

Like this post
chrismacq

Likes # 0

Thanks for the speedy reply !

It's safe to assume that I'm no IT expert,I guess my thinking on the docking stations was more for user ease. having a docking station that was already connected up to network etc.

We will be using serviced offices and external server provider as the company is very small. Can you suggest any companies that assist with IT set ups for a small start up company ?

Thankyou !
Chris

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

but you should have no trouble finding someone if you think you need help. I say 'if you think you need help' because what you're doing is pretty straightforward, and you don't really need to be an IT expert.

When you say you'll be using an "external server provider", what do you mean, exactly? If all you want to do is allow your consultants to network to shared resources when they're in the office you would be best advised to run your own small, in-house server. It can run your database application(s) and handle email, or whatever, and the consultants can access it via the wireless network adapters in their laptops. The server would be connected directly to a wireless router via a LAN cable, and provided you made sure it was properly secured from the outside world (easy to accomplish) the whole thing would run very nicely.

Your website can be externally hosted in the usual way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......