We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Share your marketing techniques.

LastChip

Likes # 0

Something that I have always been very poor at, is marketing. I not a natural salesman and it shows in just about everything I attempt.

A quick piece of research indicated that about 71% of new businesses survive longer than three years. So what happened to the other 29%?

Clearly some will have failed simply because they weren't viable in the first place, but it's my belief (gut feeling if you like) that many fail through lack of marketing. Getting their message in front of the greatest possible amount of people.

Now keeping in mind new "one man band" start-ups would probably have very limited funds, what are your favourite marketing techniques that worked for you?

Like this post
wildrover

Likes # 0

Some of the posts above appear to treat sales and marketing as the same thing. I consider'selling' and 'marketing' as different activities requiring different strategies.

For me, marketing is letting people know the services I can offer, it is aimed at all potential customers and is about raising my profile.

Selling is done face-to-face with a potential customer who has expressed an interest in one of my services. It is more about 'the pitch' for me, getting the best rate and offering the best value.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You're right, but so often nowadays the two things are done by the same people.

When I first started in business I was taught that marketing is what presents the product or service to potential consumers, and selling is what transfers ownership from producer to consumer. Sales people often think they could do without the services of the marketing department, but oh, boy are they wrong.

Like this post
Markenbergers

Likes # 0

Marketing is very important. Definately universities are a good target because there are a lot of people in one place. Also another technique would be offering discounts to customers that get their friends, partners, different firms to come to you for business. This has worked with my start up to get my clientele bases to spread out quickly. This site kind of has an interesting break down of marketing techniques that could come in handy.
click here

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I've been going through my outstanding threads and this is one, so I'll mark it as resolved, but any more words of wisdom will be gratefully received.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......