We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email server

jtt

Likes # 0

I'd be interested in people's opinions on email servers. Exchange is pretty expensive. There are some free ones around. Has anyone tried any? I'm thinking of one to cover around 3 people working on different PCs across three different rooms. They currently get the same emails via Outlook on each computers, and as a result, it's tricky for them to know who has replied to what. They want to keep a single email address since they have to cover for one another.

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

have you tried the google apps demo

Like this post
walesrob

Likes # 0

Ok, free packages are available from Google Applications for Your Domain. Also consider Windows Live Custom Domains or AOL's My EAddress. Having used all 3, Google Applications has the best flexibility and most features (this includes the ability for all users to receive the same email as you state in your first post)

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

You learn something new each day!

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Isn't that supposed to be a sign of something. I've just discovered it has a name - Illeism. You learn something new each day!

click here

Like this post
jtt

Likes # 0

Sorry everyone, jtt had a busy week last week so dodn't get the chance to look into your suggestions. I'll try harder this week!

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

wonder where jtt it

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Exactly, it is very popular in a lot of situations. We were setting up a company and didn't have a mail server for a while but needed email arriving at our domain name for multiple users and got that "for free" with GAFYD, it was superb.

I just had to put up with the moans about how different and lacking it was compared to full outlook functionality with an exchange server for months but it definitely serves its purpose.

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

ok i understand, i still think it is good for my use but everyone things differently

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

I don't need to check out the demo - as I said, we have run a domain on it for a period of time. It isn't as powerful or flexible as a full collaboration system like Exchange and Outlook and our users, being used to such capability, quickly got frustrated by it. It is fine for a free, online (and therefore easy to use wherever you or your users happen to be worldwide) system, but no substitute for a 'proper' email and calendar suite.

Like this post
computerboy1000

Likes # 0

i use outlook manly and this is only one of the 30 domains that i use gafyd (Google Apps For Your Domain)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow