We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Minidisc to computer

Yeldarb

Likes # 0

Can anyone advise me how to connect a portable Minidisc player ot cassette tape to my computer ?

They are ideal for editing material - but they do not have USB computer connections.

YELDARB

Like this post
FreeCell

Likes # 0

To capture audio, connect headphone out from either minisisc or cassette tape machine to the microphone in socket of PC.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

If you download Audacity software you can then convert the input to MP3 etc. see forums for music threads

Like this post
lofty29

Likes # 0

don't you have to be careful about the volume output level

Like this post
Yeldarb

Likes # 0

Thank you FreeCell and peter99c0 for your prompt and courteous replies
(1) Freecell. Problem : the headphone cable certainly has an end to connect to the player - but what exactly do I connect to computer. Also I'm not certain where the micrphone socket is on the computer
(2) peter99co That sounds promising But first I have to understand MP3 and then Audacity

Sorry to be so medieval - I AM an absolute beginniner ! ! ! But I do appreciate your suggestions. Will report back when I've tried them. Thank you again
YELDARB

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Connect the player using a cable with each end the same as the headphone cable (ie plug at each end)(5 din plug)Use the voluume contol on the player. find the Mic and Headphone sockets onthe back of tower Green and Pink? you can plug your headset into the tower if you want and you will then be ok.If you are laptop the connecting is easier just find the green and pink sockets

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

The use of the Mic Socket is ok but to record into software may require you to connect from Headphone on Mini Disc to Line in (pale blue) on computer. This connects you to the computer sound card. The Audacity software will allow proper recordings to be made. My own connection is a cable from my HIFI radio/cd player/Tape cassette
head phone socket to Line-in on back of tower.
The key component is the plug to plug 5din cable supplied by Maplin about 3 mtrs long or more if reqd. not expensive at all.Any recording are on the hard drive and can be burned to disc at will.
I even play my old 78/45records and its great fun.
Do delete from hard drive afer copy finished if space is a concern. Play burned cd,s and rip to Windows Media Player. Confused?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015