We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Accounting Package

avesnes1

Likes # 0

Has any member any knowledge/experience of a product called "turbocashuk"? It is open source software and (I think?) free to download and use.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

might be a candidate for confirming the truth of the old adage that 'you get nowt for nowt'

Turbocash has been around for almost two decades, and although I'm sure it has been upgraded several times over the years it really doesn't meet the standards you expect from today's software.

For one thing, it wants to install itself in the root of your C drive by default, and that's an absolute no-no as far as I'm concerned - all programs should default to the program files folder, and a root default is a sure sign of a program with a DOS history.

Otherwise, the Turbocash interface is a bit of a mess, and frankly I think you could do a lot better. If you want to keep things simple you might consider the free version of Quick Books from Intuit - it's a good application from a well-known company, and as your business grows you can easily upgrade.

click here for details.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

FE - Thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at Quick Books. Also, since posting, I have come across Microsoft Office Accounting 2008 launched last November. There is a "professional" version and a free "Express" version.

click here

Have any members had any experience of the free version?

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I tried that one but I could only configure it for $'s. So either it is not intuitive of I was too lazy to dig into the menus to find £'s.

I have loaded Quickbooks today and I plan to venture around that in order to get myself away from spreadsheets.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

FE - Further to my previous posting, I have been on the Intuit website but (perhaps I'm missing something obvious) I could not see the free version. There seems to be 3 products available with the basic version costing £49.99(CD) or £39.99(download).

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

there are 2 or 3 different free dloads for MOA2008 Express: US, UK, and Spanish I think. The UK version is configured for £ and VAT. First impressions, it seems OK, but haven't tested its capabilities.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

So there is!

Look what I found. click here it says "Important note: The version you are about to download is the UK version" :P

I will try both now.

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

Try this link, click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

look at the top right-hand corner, next to the picture - there's an orange 'Download' button.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Is your Accountant able to work with it.

If he isn't using the Program that you have chosen, on a regular basis, your Audit Fees will quickly exceed any saving you have made.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

MCE2K2 and FE,
Thanks for your replies. I've downloaded and installed the free version of Quickbooks. I will now spend some time playing and testing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...