We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I need a Network adapter for my desktop PC?

StorminNormanR

Likes # 0

I wish to set up a newtwork, preferably wireless, based around my main desktop PC. It's an Medion (Aldi) MD8000 running Win XP HE and is 5 years' old. I was presuming it had to network card and the Medion manual doesn't say and their e-mail helpline replied that they BELIEVE (!!) it was not WLAN enabled.
Can I tell from my System Information or elswhere on my PC if it indeed has netowrk capability or if I need to buy a USB Network Adapter or add some network card thingy into one of my PCI slots? Any advice appreciated.

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

Check the "network adapters" heading in Device Manager. Ask if you don't know how.

Like this post
bobbybowls

Likes # 0

If you use your pc as the centre of a network you will need that pc turned on to access the internet.
get a wireless router, they are fairly cheap and easy to set up.and act as a hardware firewall which is more secure than a software firewall to protect your network.
click here
click here

Like this post
StorminNormanR

Likes # 0

Thx Kemistri & bobbybowls.
Being on AOL Silver BB I was intending to get a Netgear DG834G wireless router, that they recommend and support. My primary problem was knowing if I needed any additional hardware. I found in my Device Manager an item called Sis 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, which implied to me that I have a built-in network adapter. However Medion have now advised me TWICE that they 'believe' or 'think' the PC has no WLAN card - instils you with confidence, eh?. I have now asked them to tell me FOR DEFINITE if these is WLAN or not. I remain confuddled lol!!

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

You are both right. Medion is correct to state that you have no W-LAN capability; and you are right to believe that you have an Ethernet interface.

Like this post
StorminNormanR

Likes # 0

Ok, so I know I can't see the forest for the trees but if you'd care to humour me one more time to see if I have understood what's going on:
1. I DO have a built-in netword adapter and so
2. I do NOT need to purchase an external USB adapter or internal network card but
3. all I need is to acquire my wireless router and set it up using my PC, then
4. proceed to do likewise for the other PCs on my intended network, after checking their own adapter capabilities? Think I need a stiff drink!

Like this post
StorminNormanR

Likes # 0

OK I think perhaps at last the penny has dropped. The network adapter on my PC is a wired one and so I WOULD still need a USB adapter to talk to my router wirelessly? Otherwise I could just fit an ethernet cable to one of the 4 ports on the router and use it in a wired mode?
Sorry to be such a pain.

Like this post
theblackrat

Likes # 0

I too have a 5 year old computer. The device manager showed it to have a network card of some sort but I could not find it at the back of the computer. I bought an internal ethernet network card from Maplin (about £10). It was very easy to fit and I could then connect the ADSL wireless router to my computer using the supplied ethernet cable. After this, set up was pretty painless using the supplied set up CD. I had bought a USB - Ethernet adapter so I could plug the ethernet cable into a USB port but this just made a mess of my computers settings and didn't work anyway. Good luck.

Like this post

Likes # 0

im pretty sure i have the same medion pc,from aldi about 5 yrs ago.
I have the medion connected to a wireless router via cable,and the other pcs and laptops on network have either built in wireless or use a usb adapter.
So in otherwords if you want to hook up the medion to the router wirelessly use a usb adapter or if location isnt a problem just use a cable from router to the back of the medion.
hope that makes sense:-)

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

" . However Medion have now advised me TWICE that they 'believe' or 'think' the PC has no WLAN card "

Thats right, because WLAN is a wireless chip on the motherboard that allows you to connect to a network wirelessly.

A LAN socket takes a cable from a router and plugs into the rear of a computer. This gives you a fixed wired network.

your last comment of

" OK I think perhaps at last the penny has dropped. The network adapter on my PC is a wired one and so I WOULD still need a USB adapter to talk to my router wirelessly? Otherwise I could just fit an ethernet cable to one of the 4 ports on the router and use it in a wired mode?
Sorry to be such a pain. "

Is spot on.

So. If you want to use a router and have no cables to the computers. The computers will need either USB WiFi dongles or PCI WiFi cards that fit inside the computers.

If you want wires to connect all the computers, use the lan sockets.

You can have a mixture of wired and wireless connections to a router.

Like this post
StorminNormanR

Likes # 0

Everyone! Thx for being patient & bearing with me. Your help is much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing