We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network connection details lease obtained?

morris948

Likes # 0

Hi
Just curious to know about why there is a 'lease obtained' time and date and a 'lease expired' time and date in the network connection details window of my pc.
I notice that it is valid for 3 days and changes everytime i boot up with a current time and date.

So what is this about? if i left my pc on for longer than 3 days, will the network connection drop out?

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

It's to do with DHCP which provides your PC with its IP address. The IP address lease is re-negotiated shortly before it runs out, if that IP address is not available another one will be tried, only if there are no IP addresses in your scope will the connection drop out due to DHCP. Seeing as it most likely relates to your wireless router that is a very unlikely proposition.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

When you connect the network adapter to the router and get the addresses - IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server(s) - from its DHCP server, these are "leased" for a period of time. Normally, about half way through the period of the lease, it will automatically be renewed so, in practice, it will never run out. :-)

Like this post
sazie31

Likes # 0

Hi

I have the same problem, in my connection details, I have lease obtained and lease expired. When the 3 days were up my connection failed. I checked with my router supplier and there's no fault on the line. I'm using a laptop with a wireless card. The pc with line connection works fine. When I try to connect, the signal is strong but there's no connection. When I try repair it, it says it can't repair the IP address. Whats wrong? Is it my wireless card?

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days