We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connecting to wired router via telephone cable

JVJ

Likes # 0

My question is - Is it possible to make a broadband connection between my PC and my wired router via 4 core telephone cable? The reason for the question is because I have two telephone extensions, one in each room where I have a computer that I want to be able to connect to the internet via broadband. If possible I would like to connect the router to the main incoming telephone line and then use the extension connections to connect to the Ethernet slots in the router and then via the extension sockets make the connection to either computer. But not sure if it is possible with only 4 core cable?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

No you need a network cable

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

Lots about lan cabling and connectors.

Since only 4 wires are actually in use, telephone cable, especially if it's twisted pairs, might work over relatively short runs.

Suck it and see - if it doesn't work all you've got to do is bite the bullet and get some cat5 cable.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Have a look at power-line networking

Using the electrical socket to network your computers

click here

NETGEARā€™s 85 Mbps Power-line Ethernet Adapter (XE103) is the fast solution for extending your home network by using standard electrical outlets.

click here

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

For some reason I didn't notice I hadn't given you the link - apologies

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made