We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot access internet

Bluenikky68

Likes # 0

Hi there
Am sure that this is something silly, but SKY couldn't figure it either - my PC will not connect to Internet since yesterday; only changes are OnSpeed uninstalled due to numerous BMI_LMP errors and Norton ran it's normal LiveUpdate.
Can ping the SKY box on 192.168.0.1 but cannot connect to it via Explorer. Have tried all options including switching off any firewall bits.
Ran IPCONFIG and it shows a bizarre second IP address: "fe.80::20c" etc etc and additional Tunnel Adaptor Pseudo Interfaces. My laptop still connects fine and IPCONFIG appears as I expected it to!
Anybody have any ideas, as I am stumped by this one! Have reasonable PC knowledge, but not expert!
Thanx in advance!
BN68

Like this post
djbenny

Likes # 0

it shows a bizarre second IP address: "fe.80::20c"

thas not the ip address thats the mac address, might be a problem with with the network card?

Like this post
Bluenikky68

Likes # 0

Hi DJBENNY
Don't have this second IP address on my laptop though. Both used to connect through wireless to a SKY Netgear DG834GT router. The second IP address is changing each time I run IPCONFIG. Any suggestions? Thanx.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

It's an IPv6 address , I suggest going in to Network Connections and see if you can un-install IPv6 , reboot than try connecting again . To do this in XP , start/settings/control panel/network connections , right click on your connection , select properties , untick IPv6 or just highlight , and click on remove , or in Vista just untick it and click Ok .

Ashley

Like this post
Bluenikky68

Likes # 0

Thanx for that; IPv6 was me trying anything for a solution .... BUT, still have the same problem. Again, have switched off firewall and can ping the router and also google.com but still not access either.
I've ipcong /all on both machines and they look pretty si,ilar except that the problem PC shows node name "hybrid" but the working laptop shows it as "mixed"; this means nothing to me!
System Restore no good as it fails to go back to any restore points. Have again run Spybot, Adaware and Norton Antivirus - all clear still.

Am completly stumped and not found a google solution yet either. Any more suggestions from you helpful people out there?
Many thanks, Nik

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Here , try this , it will reset your TCP/IP stack and Winsock ....

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

press enter after typing in these commands , removing OnSpeed may have damaged one or the other , post back if these do or do not help .

Ashley

Like this post
Bluenikky68

Likes # 0

Ashley - YOU ARE A STAR!! and I'd kiss ya if I could!

Problem sorted. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Nik x

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Awwww ( blushes modestly ! )

Ashley

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks