We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Returning my laptop to factory settings -

ynohtna

Likes # 0

As i have several issues with my laptop that i cannot resolve (my newest one being that my wireless isnt working at home after installing a tiscali dial up account to use at my girlfriend - yes, i have checked the settings - twice!!), im seriously thinking about going back to factory settings and starting over. My main query is this... i have already got my music files saved onto an external hard drive. Once i have returned my laptop back to factory settings i will need to re-install / download Itunes. Is it just a case of dragging my music files from my exernal and dumping them on the itunes window or is it more complicated than that... yes, even in this day and age i still have no clue...... sorry!

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

It's a bit drastic to go back to factory settings!

Have a look in Internet Options, Connections Tab and check that 'Never dial....' is ticked.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Most laptops have a restore partition on the hard drive, can you post back make and model of your machine?

Like this post
ynohtna

Likes # 0

I did all the never dial a number stuff, checked it twice, went thru the procedures disc that cameith the wireless router / wireless card.. it was working last week, but now it aint! I reall only use it for general browing and saving music so going back to the original settings shouldnt cause too much heartache. Its an Acer Aspire 1605LC

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

An option to restore your factory settings. This can be found in your BIOS on boot-up.

Boot the machine and hit F2 or DEL to enter your BIOS screen.

Scroll through the various options until you find the restore factory settings option. Be aware that you will lose anything that has not been backed up if you run this process.

Like this post
Jackcoms

Likes # 0

"Once i have returned my laptop back to factory settings i will need to re-install / download Itunes"

Yes. Restore to factory settings does exactly what it says.

Anything and everything which you have put onto the laptop from the moment you got it out of the box will be lost and will have to be re-installed.

Like this post
Probabilitydrive

Likes # 0

if you do decide to re-install:

1) de-authorise your i-tunes first (i-tunes allows you to be installed on 5 computers/or 5 times)

2) after re-installation its just a matter of importing your library again to i-tunes

Done.

Like this post
drtyjerz

Likes # 0

I have a HP DV6000 w/vista. Very slow and my RAM is all gone. I want to boot to the factory settings but everytime I try I get an error saying I have to have a saving point first. How do I get to the factory settings thru boot?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

The first thing to do is start your own thread,not hijack this one.

Like this post
drtyjerz

Likes # 0

Sorry about that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers