We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC running slow, any ideas??

astra46

Likes # 0

Ive done a disk defrag, and a spyware scan, deleted temp files, but my pc still runs slow when on the net.

Athalon 2400xp
512 Meg
80gb HD

Any ideas?

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

have you installed or updated any programs recently, even if they are not strictly internet related?

Like this post
astra46

Likes # 0

Yes always upgrade AVG, Adaware, Spybot, and the microsoft downloads.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try Task Manager to see if there is anything running that should not be.Right click bottom Taskbar ,Task Manager.

Like this post
si_l

Likes # 0

If its running slow on the net only, I would say it is not a hard drive problem so de-fragging isnt the answer, and I dont think you have spyware/malware. Which ISP are you with and what modem are you using?

Like this post
astra46

Likes # 0

Im with Pipex and using a Speedtouch 330 modem

Like this post
postie

Likes # 0

I found that D/L IObit Advanced Windowcare slowed my computer right down so removed it and reported to the company and my computer went back to normal speed

postie

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

PC running slow, any ideas??

Yes pedal faster.

Only joking. Reading what you are saying am I correct in saying that the actual computer runs fast enough, opening documents/programs etc and the only slow down you are experiencing is the internet?

If thats correct then the first thing I would do is run a speedtest on your internet connection, it might be theres absolutly nothing wrong with your computer and its just your internet connection that has slowed. Try this first as you can waste a lot of time looking for a fault on your computer only to find there isn't one.

Only other thing that I can think of is one of the programs you have running when on the net is slowing it down. What firewall and antivirus programs do you have running on your PC?

Like this post
si_l

Likes # 0

click here

Here is a good place to speed test your pc, it will show you the regional averages against your PC.

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

Agree with Totally...could be other apps running such as virus scan or something...I use AVG and when scanning takes up much resource. As suggested, check ur task manager & see where resources are being gobbled up, n click the performance tab too to show it graphically.

Additionally could be ur ISP...some days mine is faster than others. U don't say however if this is all the time or just at certain periods.

Like this post
cooki8c

Likes # 0

can anyone tell me why I have no System restore my computer tells me my system restore is switched off but when I check thee is no tick in the switch off box and I cant reset mt computer back to an earlier date

coocki8c

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes