We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MBS Bill

niki31

Likes # 0

I know that this has been discussed but i can't find the thread. I keep getting the pop up every time i log on to the internet asking for money for a site i haven't been on - how do i get rid of it.. Please help

Like this post
Diodorus Siculus

Likes # 0

click here
ewido - anti-spyware and anti-malware solutions

click here AdAware

click here SpywareBlaster

click here SpyBot

Like this post
niki31

Likes # 0

Thank you Diodorus Siculus you are a total star - I have installed ewido and it picked up 4 viruses 1 of which was trojan???? anyway i have deleted it and i haven't received a pop up yet thanks again

Like this post
fhiufhyrefyer

Likes # 0

Hi.

I accept no repsonsibility for any damage monetry or otherwise from using the following information.

You can do all of this off line from the internet, infact i would adivse you to be DISCONNECTED when you do the following!

You need to disable an activeX control in your web browser for starters!

Ensure you are logged on as an adminstrator (in XP).

I did this on someone else computer because they started to get this and had no idea how it had started at all and the timer had got up to 9 minutes, this when the person needed to be study work for the course they were on!

I can not rember the exact names of files so please bear with me!

Goto the Tools menu and select Manage Add-ons..., this will open up an window, in here you will see a control that starts with mbs, mbs......., select it and then at the bottom click on the disable radio button.

This does not delete the item!
OK the window!

Now we need to go and see where the other items reside:

open up My Computer from the desktop!

if you can not see the windows folder in the following part, you will have to go into the Tools menu and then Folder Options, in the window that opens you need to go to the view tab. Here you need to go down and clik the radio button for "show hidden files and folders" you will find this under Hidden files and folders.

you will also need to unselect the tick box for "Hide extensions for know file types". This will allow you see the extension .exe and .dll etc for what we will be looking for in a minute!

We need to goto into the c drive, then into the windows folder, from here we go into the system32 folder(XP).

That being: C:\WINDOWS\system32

In system32 we are looking for these two files:

mbsmon32.exe
mbsreg.exe

Click the toolbar to display the information as details instead of thumbs etc! This is important!

Note the date that these files were installed on the pc and click on the header bar to sort all of the files into date order when they were last modified.

Now look down the date column and find that date, you will see about 6 files i think, you will see the icons used by the two files above plus some others, one or two may be dll files!

NOTE ****

It is important to find the files on that date BUT ensure that the files you select all have the same TIME STAMP as mbsmon32.exe and mbsreg.exe, this will ensure you only pick the files that were installed with these two files!

note these files down and log off the computer!

Boot XP up and start pressing F8!

This will bring up a menu to boot XP in safe mode and into the all seeing administrator!

Choose to use ****** safe mode! *******

This will start and maintain a low resolution screen, this is ok.

At the log on choose the Administrator even if your user id (logon) has Admin rights!

A warning window will display on the screen, ok this and allow it fully load!

Now open my computer (or explorer) and goto the files we found earlier!

Those being in: C:\WINDOWS\system32

*** Remember the TIME STAMP ***

Select them and delete them!

Start up msconfig by going to the start button on the desktop ( bottom left) and goto run, in the box that appears, type msconfig and click ok. A window will open, goto the startup tab and untick the program identified as mbs...... ok that and allow the computer to reboot!

You can now delete the icon of the desktop and from the startup menu from the start button.

I hope this has cleared your ploblem and has been of some use!

This information has been given in good faith and it is your responsibility to do with it you see fit!

I accept no responsibility for any actions brought against you or third parties for use of the above information.

Good luck!

Like this post
niki31

Likes # 0

Thanks for the last message - i have looked where you said but there is no file starting with mbs i'm loosing the will to live would it be called something else

Like this post
niki31

Likes # 0

Hi fhiufhyrefyer
me again, i have followed your instructions from the F8 bit - really pleased with myself - deleted all of the files with the same time and date - fingers crossed it has worked. Thanks for your easy to understand instructions.

Like this post
fhiufhyrefyer

Likes # 0

I hope your computer is doing fine and that noting has gone wrong!

Cheers for the reply.

Like this post
Help@MBS

Likes # 0

Dear Forum
We read and note the comments of this forum and would like to offer the following advice

MBS is an independent billing company that provides billing and collection services to websites worldwide. Many of our client' sites are either age restricted (by consent) or of an adult nature.

The software that has been described on this forum can ONLY be downloaded from visiting one
of our clients sites. Our software is not spyware nor is it embedded as a trojan.

You, or a user of your computer, will have agreed to terms and conditions then voluntarily downloaded the software to gain access to the site. In the interest of privacy, we do not ask for email addresses or credit card details to do this.

Our system is based on honesty and we expect all people who access our clients sites to pay when the bills are first shown. These bills can be closed, do not stay visible or interfere with the computer.

Unfortunately, only when people ignore the bills, do not contact us or do not pay, we have to display the bills in a more persistent way.

We always provide access to a help email address and aim to respond to enquiries within 48 hrs.

If you have a genuine query and do not understand why you have received a bill, please contact us at [email protected] and quote the mbs reference number starting MBS-043- which can be found on your bill.

Alternatively write to us quoting the above reference at:

MBS Information
PO Box 185
Leeds
LS12 9AJ

Thank you

Like this post
headcast

Likes # 0

This sounds very similar to 'moviepass', see the link below -

click here

I would also be wary of a business that does not list a phone number and has a PO box as an Address.

Like this post
headcast

Likes # 0

“Our system is based on honesty”
I really can’t imagine that most people who have content like this have openly, clearly and knowingly agreed to pay these so called fees.

Be careful out there. There are many cases that show how the unscrupulous can extract money from the vulnerable by getting un-expecting persons to download malicious content by surreptitious means.
If in doubt speak to trading standards.

Like this post
De Marcus™

Likes # 0

I was more concerned with this sentence:

"Unfortunately, only when people ignore the bills, do not contact us or do not pay, we have to display the bills in a more persistent way."

Is that an open admission to persistently displaying difficult to remove popups/adware?

If it is then you need to tread carefully click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes