We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

continually 'acquiring network address'

grrrr

Likes # 0

Hi good people! I need your help again! I've set up a home wireless network - my computer as the host, two other desktop computers (computer 2 and computer 3) as the clients. The problem is this - Computer 1 is working perfectly, and computer 2 is working perfectly, all connected to mine and connects to the internet fine etc. However, computer 3 recognises my network (signal strength excellent etc) but refuses to connect, continually saying it is 'acquiring network address'. If it's any help, when I run ipconfig on the three computers I get the following: My host computer: Address type: Assigned by DHCP Connection:specific DNS suffix - blank. IP address 192.168.0.2 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.0.1
Computer 2 has the following: Connection, specific DNS suffix - blank. IP address 192.168.0.3 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.0.1
However, troublesome computer number 3 has this: IP adress 0.0.0.0 Subnet mask 0.0.0.0 Default gateway - blank. Connection, specific DNS suffix - blank.
I have tried putting the IP address etc in manually and it doesn't make any difference. I have also disabled (uninstalled actually!) all the anti-virus software. All three computers are Windows XP Home service pack 2. The router is a Netgear DG834G, and both client computers are using NetgearWG111 wireless USB adapters. This particular router and adapters are not digitally signed for Windows so can't use the XP network wizard etc. HELP!!! Any ideas people????

Like this post
01chris

Likes # 0

But I'm not quite sure what you mean by host and client when you are using a router. I think I am right in thinking all computers are at an equal level when used in conjunction with a router.

Unless you mean something to do with file and printer sharing?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As "01Chris" says, there is no "host" and "client" relationship when using a router. Each PC connects directly to the router and gets its internet access over the LAN from the router. The router is also the "Wireless Access Point" through which the computers connect for File & Printer sharing. There should be no direct connections between any of the computers.

Like this post
grrrr

Likes # 0

Oh, OK! Well, I'm a moron! But whatever, the point I was trying to make is that there are 3 computers I am trying to connect to a home wireless network: my computer (which is directly connected to the router), my wife's computer (who'd have thought I'd ever have got married?!?!) and my stepdaughter's computer. My computer works fine, my wife's computer works fine through the same network adapter, my stepdaugher's computer can find the wireless network but can't connect - it continually says 'acquiring network address.' Does that help???? I'm not very technical. Sorry. Sob.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

<<< Well, I'm a moron! >>>

Not at all. It's just that the terms "Host" and "Client" are particularly significant because they are used in conjunction with Windows' built-in "Internet Connection Sharing". It is important when using a router that "ICS" is not enabled on any connection in any of the networked computers. It is also important that all computers connect directly to the router rather than directly with one another.

It is strange that computer 3 is continually "acquiring its IP address", because usually if unable to access the DHCP server (the router) to get an address, Windows would default to allocating a 169.254.x.x address.

As a test, is it possible to connect PC3 directly to the router by ethernet cable to see if it then gets an IP address and gets online? Has this PC previously been able to connect to the internet? The reason I ask is that the TCP/IP protocol may have been damaged. It wouldn't do any harm to carry out this procedure anyway to repair the TCP/IP:

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type:

netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt

and press Enter (note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

Alternatively, download and run this little "WinSockFix" utility click here

Something else to check:
Right click "My Computer" and select Manage, then click the [+] beside "Services & Applications" to expand it. Highlight Services and, in the right pane, find the entry for "DHCP Client". Double click the entry and make sure that the Startup Type is set to Automatic and that the service is currently Started (if not click the Start button).

Like this post
grrrr

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc! Thanx for your input. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work! sob. I checked the manage services and applications and that was all OK, I followed your instructions re the cmd prompt, and I even downloaded and ran the WinSockFix utility! All to no avail... I haven't tried connecting computer 3 directly to the router yet,because since I am a bit of a novice at this and the other two computers are working fine, I'm worried if I do something wrong then all 3 won't connect to the internet!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

<<< I haven't tried connecting computer 3 directly to the router yet...
...I'm worried if I do something wrong then all 3 won't connect to the internet! >>>

It is just a matter of connecting PC3 by ethernet cable to one of the unused LAN ports in the router. Doing that should make any difference to the existing setup with PCs 1 & 2.

Like this post
grrrr

Likes # 0

OK, I'll try it in a bit! (after a stiff drink...). It's just the hassle of unplugging the router, taking all the leads out, and moving it...!!! But let's assume it still won't connect (not that I'm a pessimist by nature or anything) - what then??? Or what if it DOES connect? Or shall I worry about all that after I've plugged it into the bl**dy router????

Like this post
01chris

Likes # 0

(Because I don't want to confuse matters).

Are you using WEP encryption on the router? I had the same problem when I first got my router and it was down to an incorrect key.

If you are, double check that you have the same key on both the router and the PC

Like this post
grrrr

Likes # 0

I AM using WEP encryption but that's definitely not the problem - her computer is picking up my network fine and dandy (That's a Toots and the Maytals song by the way...Fab band!). I've also updated the router firmware and her adapter drivers. Still not working! I reckon it's something pretty straightforward, but then I know nothing about computers, well not much... Rather than unplug the router etc, I might install a dial-up connection on her computer and see if that works... Might give us some idea.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

<<< But let's assume it still won't connect (not that I'm a pessimist by nature or anything) - what then??? Or what if it DOES connect? Or shall I worry about all that after I've plugged it into the bl**dy router? >>>

I believe the current trend is to boost the profits of the glazing industry - throw it out of the (unopened) window!

<<< I might install a dial-up connection on her computer and see if that works. >>>

By all means, try that. It will show whether or not the computer can actually get an IP address from a DHCP server. However, if that is successful, you still need to ascertain whether an IP address can be obtained from the router.

Can you post the *COMPLETE* list of the details currently shown in IPCONFIG /ALL for the *wireless* adapter in the problem PC as per click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad