We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Voyager 2091 help please

echolima

Likes # 0

Im new here so hello everyone.

Since connecting and installing my new bt voyager 2091 wireless router, web pages either take an age to load or just dont load at all. I have installed this because I now have a laptop with wireless bulit in and I wanted a WAP to connect to the internet with the laptop and a wired connection for my desktop machine.

I *know* its a configuration problem with the router and suspect its something to do with DHCP.

HOw do I know its the router and not my connection ?..well ive been on bt broadband for two years now (just with the desktop machine)using the bt voyager adsl usb modem (not a router) and everything has *always* loaded and functioned perfectly, and still does when I use it.

So I really need more information regarding networking in order for me to understand how the router works and to fix the problem.

Firstly the ethernet light on the bt voyager 2091 constantly flashed.......is this normal ?

I have errors reported under system in the event viewer on *both* the laptop *and* the desktop machine. The desktop machine is connected to the router via the ethernet cable, and the laptop is connected to the router wirelessly

The *desktop* errors are as follows.
================================================
"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the dhcp server) for the network card with the network address 000C6E178B67 The following error occured: The semaphore timeout period has expired Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

and, (again from the desktop machine)

===============================================
"Your computer has automatically configured the ip address of the network card with network address 000C6E178B67. The ip address being used is 169.254.223.249"

The 000C6E178B67 is the MAC address right ?

The *laptop* errors are:

""Your computer has automatically configured the ip address of the network card with network address 0014A51E93DB. The ip address being used is 169.254.3.73"

Im sure this is where the problem lies but it confused the hell out of me.

The routers ip is 192.168.1.1, when i first used the router it assigned the ip of 192.168.1.2 to my desktop machine and 192.168.1.3 to my laptop both leases where and still are for 1 day.

If (as in the error logs) my pc is assigning my network cards an ip address, then whats going on with dhcp assinging another ip address ???

So confusing.....................:(

Do things go like this.......................

My desktop pc connects to the router via an ethernet cable. When this happens the dhcp server on the router assigns my desktop network card an ip address ?? (which is 192.168.1.2)but if my pc has already assigned that network card an ip address of 169.254.223.249 then there is bound to be conflict ????

Same scenario with the laptop.......wireless card gets assigned 192.168.1.3, but laptop says its already given an ip of 169.254.3.73.....again bound to be conflict ?????

Im sure this is an easy fix if you have the correct knowledge.........which i dont :(

Also what would happen if i just chose the turn off the dhcp server on the router ?? would this cause more problems ??

The lease on the ip's is 1 day ? is it just a case of increasing the lease time ?

and when i reboot or turn off, will these ip's that the router has assigned change ? or do they stay the same ?

If someone could solve this and give me a *clear* explanation of all this i would be extremely greatfull..............

Hope you guys can help me out

Many Many thanks.

Gary.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You are getting "169.254" addresses allocated by Windows because, for some reason, the network adapters have been unable to access the DHCP server (the router) to get the correct addresses.

<<< My desktop pc connects to the router via an ethernet cable. When this happens the dhcp server on the router assigns my desktop network card an ip address ?? (which is 192.168.1.2)but if my pc has already assigned that network card an ip address of 169.254.223.249 then there is bound to be conflict ?? >>>

If your desktop PC has what is known as an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing) - a 169.254.x.x address allocated by Windows - the adapter will continue to seek a DHCP server and, if it finds it, the address will update to the one allocated by DHCP. Your adapters are not finding the router to get the address.

<<< Also what would happen if i just chose the turn off the dhcp server on the router ?? would this cause more problems ?? >>>

Whilst you could disable DHCP in the router and allocate fixed IP addresses to the network adapters, there may be a more fundamental problem that is actually preventing the PCs and router from communicating at all.

<<< The lease on the ip's is 1 day ? is it just a case of increasing the lease time ? >>>

That isn't an issue. The IP address will be renewed before the lease expires, it isn't something you need to think about.

<<< and when i reboot or turn off, will these ip's that the router has assigned change ? or do they stay the same ? >>>

That can vary with different routers. My Belkin used to allocate an IP address to a PC and it always kept that same address. My current router, a Buffalo, allocates IP addresses on a "first come first served" basis, so the address depends which PC is booted first.

To be honest, particularly as you are also having a problem with a "wired" ethernet connection, I would be inclined to reset the router back to factory default settings and start again. Check the manual, but there are normally two reset options - "soft reset" which just reboots the router and "hard reset" which wipes it clean and reverts to the default settings.

Like this post
echolima

Likes # 0

Thankyou very much for the explanation. Is there a way or method that can help me track down actually *why* they cannot connect to the router to get the ip addresses ?

Also, have you any idea what program is responsible for managing the assigning of the network cards, id just like to know how this works in a little more detail.

I have already done a hard reboot and it didnt help. However this evening the desktop machine got so slow at around 10pm i just turned it off in frustration, left the router on and went into the living room and tried the laptop on wireless and after about 30 mins the speed of connection and page loading was perfect, which just makes me scratch my head even more !

Again many thanks for taking the time to reply the explanation helps a lot

Cheers

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

<<< Is there a way or method that can help me track down actually *why* they cannot connect to the router to get the ip addresses? >>>

I cannot suggest any reason why a network adapter that is connected by ethernet cable to the router cannot connect, provided it has an IP address in the same 192.168.1.xxx range as the router, either manually assigned or by DHCP from the router.

By all means try allocating fixed IP addresses and see if that works reliably. Try:

IP address - 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - {the *ROUTER's* IP address}

DNS Server address - {the *ROUTER's* IP address}

In the second computer use the IP address 192.168.1.3 and leave the rest as per the first PC.

<<< Also, have you any idea what program is responsible for managing the assigning of the network cards, id just like to know how this works in a little more detail. >>>

If you mean the allocation of addresses by DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), I have no idea about the detailed workings of it, but it isn't something that you have any control over any more than you do over the workings of TCP/IP protocol. It is a background process which runs in conjunction with IP routing in either a router or a PC with "Internet Connection Sharing" enabled (which is effectively also a router).

Talking of which, I assume that you *don't* have Internet Connection Sharing set up on any connection in either PC? If you do, disable it because that will certainly cause conflicts with IP addressing.

Like this post
echolima

Likes # 0

hmm im sure I dont but I can remember seeing that somewhere when going going through settings.

Where can I check if ICS is enabled ?

Thank you.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Reverse the procedure to enable "ICS", which is...

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

Actually, the icon for the connection would have a hand under it, in the same way as a "shared" folder or printer, so that would identify ICS.

Like this post
echolima

Likes # 0

mgmcc many thanks for the help you have provided ive learnt a lot, but unfortuneatly the problem remained.

The ethernet light on the modem was *constantly* flashing (tech support said this was normal, i disagreed) but the problem wasnt fixed.

So I have gone back to Linux, Ive been using Linux for the past two years and its almost perfect, only switched back to xp for some extened features on my printer/scanner, but to hell with that i can live with third part open source drivers.

As soon as i installed Linux again the ethernet light has stopped flashing constantly and *both* my desktop and Laptop machines now connect and load pages and downloads lightening fast.

Fantstic :)

Im a happy bunny again now.

I do however now want to be able to print from my xp laptop wireless to my epson rx425 printer which is attached to my Linux desktop pc by usb, dont suppose you know of ant good tutorials for setting this ?

I have a lot tp learn about networking and so excuse me if i continue to pick your brains ;)

Cheers.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Sorry, after spending about an hour trying to print from XP to a printer attached to a PC running SuSE 10 Linux, I've had to admit defeat, but then my knowledge of Linux is zero anyway. I've also given up trying to get network printing to work with a Mac!

I use a USB switch that lets me connect up to four computers to a single USB peripheral and that way I can use both scanning and printing, as it is an "all-in-one" device.

Like this post
jpdex

Likes # 0

Hi there sorry for the late post but i just come across your thread if its not fixed yet here is what to do;

you need to assigne a static ip address do the following;

right click on the local area connection which is located in the network connections file in the control pannel

the will be a box above it, it will say "this connection uses the following"
and then it will list verious things
one will be "internet protocal tcp/ip"
right click it once so it goes blue and the click on properties.
you get a box which says "obtain an ip address automaticly (which will be selected)
change it to the other option "use the following ip address"

now for the ip address enter;
the sub net mask is;
and the default gateway is;

below that it will say "use the following dns server address"
for primary;
leave secondary blank.

and thats in vola it will work
any more problems email me
[email protected]

Like this post
weestoat

Likes # 0

can anyone tell me how to install and get my bt voyager 2091 router working

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia