We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Do I "Create an association" in the Folders..?

Bingalau

Likes # 0

I'm not quite an absolute beginner, but I feel like one because I can't figure out how to re-act to the following message I keep getting.
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."
I can get to the Folder Options control panel o.k. but from there on I am lost. I think I need leading by the hand on this one...I don't want to alter something that shouldn't be altered....Bingalau

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

Before you can do anything you need to know what program is supposed to open the file and you must also have it installed on your PC. If you are ok on both these requirements then the easiest way is to right-click the file, choose 'Open With' and 'Choose Program' from the menu. Now either highlight the program in the list or use the Browse button to find it. Before clicking on OK put a tick in the box labelled 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'.

If you don't know the program to use then post back with the extension of the file and someone may recognise it.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Eric10 thanks for reply. The extension file is 2.pps and I seem to have a file in the list showing PPS is this the same thing? I am just on yway out for the evening but will follow your instructions when I get back later....once again Thank You... Bingalau.

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

.pps is a Powerpoint show. Unless you have Microsoft Office you will need the Powerpoint Viewer to open it click here

Installing the Powerpoint viewer will create the file association.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

VoG
I have downloaded and installed as per instructions. But I am still getting the same results as before. "This file does not have a program etc..
I have just had a look in the Folder Options window and notice that about 25 places from the top of the list in File Types under Extensions is an icon that looks like a wine glass in front of a document. Next to it is 1.PPS and under File Types is .jpg
Lower down the list is an entirely different icon and PPS under Extensions while under File Types is PPS Files.....What are these ? Bingalau

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

VoG
I do already have Microsoft Office Tools So I assume I should also have Microsoft Office?
Bingalau

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Never did find the cure for this folks. Has anyone else any suggestions (No rude ones please?)..Bingalau...

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

If this file is an attachment in Outlook Express, try saving the attachment then opening the saved copy.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

VoG .. It was an attachment in Outlook Express, but I have since deleted it and can't find another one to experiment with. I have had these attachments in the past and just given up on ever getting to look at them, and so deleted them... No Patience you see! Thanks for the help once again and I will now await another attachment to have a go at, using your latest advice. .. Bingalau..

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

click here - I suggest that you run the 'Automated Fix'.

If you want to see if it has worked, click my yellow envelope to e-mail me. I'll respond with a .pps file.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...