We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB ports on front and rear panels - USB and USB2

Countermeasure

Likes # 0

I have USB2 ports on my rear panel and they work OK at USB2 speed. I also have 2 front panel USB connectors on the front panel of the case and have just connected them to the motherboard (Shuttle MV43V). I'm using XP2 SP2.

The front panel USB ports appear to only operate at USB speed because any USB device I plug in generates a message to say that the device will operate faster on a USB2 port.

Any ideas why these front ports are not seen as USB2?

Like this post
VideoSentry

Likes # 0

I had the same problem, the MOBO has only USB1 ( I think) and as such the front ports are 1 though the rear are via a USB2 Card and therefore are 2.
Brian

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The Shuttle MV43V has 6 USB2 ports, 4 on the rear and two on the motherboard see click here.

Like this post
Countermeasure

Likes # 0

That's the problem - the manual says that they are all USB2 and I don't see anthing about a different drivers or setup for the 2 on the board

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Are you saying that if you plug a USB2 peripheral into the rear ports it operates at USB2 speed but if you plug the same peripheral into the front ports you get the warning message?

Like this post
Countermeasure

Likes # 0

Yes - that's what happens - is it something to do with the pin connections of the front panel USB ports?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Most of the motherboards where I have wired up front panel USB sockets have one or more 10 pin arrangements (usually called JUSB1 etc.) sticking up from the mother board. One of the pins - pin 9 is always omitted as there is no connection to this pin. On the same side of pin 9 are pins 1,3,5,7 and opposite them are 2,4,6,8,10.

The wires from the front sockets are generally colour coded.
Pins 1-2 are USB power - red
Pins 7-8 are ground - black.

From this you should be able to work out if you have connected your front panel wires the correct way round. But I doubt if this is your problem if your USB peripheral is working after you plug it in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow