We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Converting *.WPT documents

Switcher

Likes # 0

A friend has given me a disk with some lectures which were created on a "Brothers" word processing M/C and would like them converted to be read on his shiny new PC using Microsoft Works 2002.

The documents have the extension *.wpt and are not recognised by any of the usual Word processors on my PC. Can anyone suggest how I can convert these.

Like this post
PurplePenny

Likes # 0

.wpt is a WordPerfect file extension. It is used for templates now but I believe that it was also used for documents by older versions of WP.

You could try changing the extension to .wpd then it should be recognised as a WordPerfect file and converted by MS.

PurplePenny

Like this post
Switcher

Likes # 0

Thanks for your advice PP.

I tried as you suggested with WPWIN 5.2 but response was UNKNOWN FORMAT.

I will hunt out my old DOS WP5.1 programme and try that.

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

It's a format specific to Brother - not Word Perfect - and there's no converters that I know of.

In Word, when you do File - Open - look in the File Type pull down at the bottom of the file selection windows for "Recover Text from any File"

This at least should give you a useable document which you can cut and paste into a shiny new Word document.

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

Ever had that funny feeling that you read the exact same question before, saw the exact same wrong answer, and the exact same solution?

I am sure this one came up before. I think there is a way to convert these files.

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

How do I convert my files for use on a PC?

A.
All models offer ASCII conversion. Convert your Brother word processing file to ASCII format or vice versa. The file can now be read by most PC word processing programs. Some models offer PC/WP conversion software. This program is contained on one of the disks shipped with your unit. If your model offers this program on disk, install the PC/WP Conversion software program that comes with your unit onto the C drive on the PC. This program is a DOS program, not a window's program. Insert the conversion software disk into your A or B drive an type INSTALL at either the A: or B: prompt to install. Once the program is installed, you can convert from Brother format to any of the major programs or vice versa. To convert a file, type CONVERT at the C: prompt. Follow the steps outlined on the display and in your users guide.

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

Yes it has come up before, and yes the files were accidentally mis-identified as Word Perfect. And yes, the Brother solution is a new one on me - but for sure the "Recover text from any file" works, as I have done it myself.

Like this post
Switcher

Likes # 0

Pesala,

Unfortunately the Brother WP has gone to meet it's departed brothers otherwise would have tried your suggestion.

DieSse,

Thanks problem solved or will be once I show friend how to manually remove formatting characters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...