We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Net. Framework Update 20th May 2012

clock
Resolved

Likes # 0

According to my update history at Microsoft Home, I have now downloaded and installed the 3 latest Net Framework security updates 3 times and each time I closedown my computer it trys to install them again!! However when I look at Control Panel - Add or Remove Programms, I cannot find the latest updates in the list?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why they appear not to have been installed?

Clock

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Not that it provides an answer...

But I am having exactly the same problem - so it's not just you!

Like this post
clock

Likes # 0

Many thanks Chris the Ancient! Feel much better to know it's not just me! Let's hope someone out there can provide an answer!

Clock

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Same thing here Clock.

I've installed using Microsoft Update & Windows Update on a XP machine and the process just keeps wanting to install and nothing shows as installed in Add & Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Peter.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

here is the most likely answer to your problems. Link Unfortunately the solution involves a bit of work.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Another .NET Framework mess from the House of Microsoft and you are certainly not alone.enter link description here

I have gone through the uninstall/reinstall all .NET Framework releases on a previous occassion when this same scenario happened some time ago and it is a very time consuming exercise (1 to 2 hours) so not to be dived into lightly.

It would also appear that these are NOT new updates. Googling for them highlights people having similar problems back in March 2012 for the same KB numbers,although they do not appear in my update history in March.

While I wait for MS to sort this out I have opted just to hide them by choosing custom update,expanding the update details, and ticking the box marked "do not show this update again" - especially as my update history does say that they have already been successfully installed.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have been this route with Net Framework on a couple of occasions now. My experience is that it is necessary to completely uninstall and reinstall from scratch to resolve it.

You may find these links helpful:

Removal/Cleanup Tool

.Net Framework 3.5 Package or the direct link.

.Net Framework 3.5 Family Update

Beware, some downloads are huge and take a long time, but when you have them, you can at least save them for future problems.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Had similar issues, with Windows Update doing a whole series of them, together, on auto. My system crashed, and I had to restore back to prior to the updates.

I went into W/U, check for updates, and then de-selected them all. Then installed them manually, one at a time, re-booting after each. I did that, mainly, to try to indentify which was "an issue", but all went through, fine, like that, and touch wood, all now seems OK.

Like this post
clock

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for replies, have read them all and other threads on same subject! Will leave things as they are and hope Microsoft sorts it out all out!

Have to say it's very reassuring to post a message on this site and find out that "you are not alone"!!!!!!

Clock

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes