We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer reboots

jul

Likes # 0

just lately my computer is rebooting, the screen goes black and no signal appears on the screen, is this a motherboard problem. Motherboard is an asus F1A75M with 4gb of memory 1tb hdd and windows 7 64bit version. Its been fine since i got the board back due to the original one having a Problem or faulty part, but just lately it has been rebooting most of the time whilst im online. Any ideas ladies and gents would be most helpful

many thanks Jul

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

A computer can reboot for a number of reasons but first thing is to stop it doing this - To see what the error was you can change the default behavior by right clicking on “My Computer” and choosing “Properties”. Goto the “Advanced” Tab and under “Startup and Recovery” press the “Settings” button.

Under the “System Failure” box there will be a checkbox saying “Automatically Restart”. Untick this box and click Ok.

Next time the system has a failure it will show the Windows error blue screen (also known as BSOD, Blue Screen of Death) and it will have an error code, grab a piece of paper and write this code down. It may look something like this: Stop 0x0000000A or IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL

You can check out the error code(s) via Google Search

Another cause could be overheating.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is a list of Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error codes to check out if required.enter link description here

Like this post
jul

Likes # 0

The reboot problem is over the problem now is that the screen now stays black while the pc is on I have tried another Monitor and it stays black I have a red light on the motherboard, but i dont think its the memory as both would of has to of failed at the same time, I have a feeling that it may be the motherboard, which is an Asus F1a75-m board, with 4 gb of memory, anyone have any other ideas as the computer is only just 2 months old and it is a self build it did work fine till last week when it would re-boot for no reason. Hope someone may have an Idea although i think I may be sending the Board back to misco for the second time :(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try the mem sticks one at a time to eliminate memory problems.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'll repost my offering as I had replied on other duplicate thread before I knew there was already one running....

As it is a self build you prob have done all these, but all I can think of is:

Does the monitor light stay Orange (on standby) or is there a message saying No Signal? Did you try a different cable from pc to monitor?

Sounds like the Graphic Card or if no separate card then the motherboard onboard graphics.

Or other: Have you tried with just one stick of memory in? Are all fans running? CPU properly seated with paste? Do you get any beeps?

Have you disconnected everything, HDD, CD/DVD drives etc to see if it will display POST, bios. You could even try it with the mouse and keyboard disconnected to see if any messages display.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What beeps are you getting on pressing power-on button?

Download and run Memtest. Your statement tat both RAM sticks would need to fail at te same tie to cause problems is incorrect, it only needs one to cause difficulties. In fact if oe is not seated correctly,it will cause exactly your type of problem. As a builder myself I have had a similar thing happen to me whilst adjusting cables I managed to unseat slightly one stick of ram. Result black screen.

I would remove everything then reseat but try what lotvic says initially.

Like this post
jul

Likes # 0

I dont get any beeps the computer runs but I have no signal so the monitor stays black, i have tried the memory 1 stick at a time but it does nothing i have unplugged everything and then plugged it back in, the computer will run but i still get no Signal so it is either the Cpu which is a tri core with graphics. I did have a Motherboard issue when it was new after a couple of days I would not find the HDD so its been replaced since with a brand new 1 from the suppliers Asus, so I think its down to the cpu which is the only thing I cant check as I dont have any other F1M socket Cpus laying around as I built this to do work and have some fun so now im back on my old Dell at the moment untill i can get the items replaced which is slow online as it has no lan cards so i have to use a usb wireless adapter which takes me back to being on dialup :(. Anyone think I may be looking at the wrong item for the fault any ideas, remember i can download anything as i have no signal picture on my monitor to see what is happening and I have tried another monitor and that also stays black.

Like this post
jul

Likes # 0

Soory should say I cant download things no picture.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Blank screen or No signal message?

Power to monitor?

Try another monitor cable / monitor

could be graphics card / chip

try reseating the graphics card.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Blank screen or No signal message?

Power to monitor?

Try another monitor cable / monitor

could be graphics card / chip

try reseating the graphics card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia