We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RAM upgrade

DW1

Likes # 0

I have a Win7 32-bit system which had 2x1GB of RAM - I've just upgraded that to 2X2GB - however the system says I only have 2.5Gb total ie 2GB in one slot 512Mb in the other. I took one of the new modules out and replaced it with one of the old 1GB modules and then the system told me I had 3GB of RAM. I've tried this both ways round to check that each of the new 2GB modules is ok.

I understand that 32-bit Windows can't see more than about 3-3.5GB RAM but I'm confused as to why 2x2GB should give less memory than 2+1GB

Any ideas?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try putting 1 x 2GB in - boot up and check amount - shutdown. Reboot with 2 x 2GB in and see check to see what you get.

Like this post
DW1

Likes # 0

Hi northumbria61 Thanks for your reply - stuill no luck though - I tried booting up with only 1x2GB in then re-installing the other one and still only get 2.5GB total RAM

DW1

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

To use more than 4Gb RAM with Win7, you must have the 64bit version. Your video will be using some of the RAM, so you should only expect to see about 3.2Gb from 4Gb inserted.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Did you try each 2GB singly as it sounds like a possible faulty module?

Like this post
DW1

Likes # 0

Hi, Yes tried each module seperatly - both gave 2GB on their own.

In reply to nontek - yes I understand about not getting 4GB with 32-bit but what I don't understand is why 2+2GB gives 2.5GB total while 2+1GB gives 3GB total?

DW1

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)