We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems getting on line.

yahwob

Likes # 0

Hi,

Have had problems all Easter getting on line. Was fine for an hour on Friday morning and then I got a pop up from Zone Alarm asking if I wanted to download an update, I know I know, perhaps i shouldn't of done that but once i did I lost my internet connection.

No error messages as such but just got a white screen saying it couldn't connect. In the end I rang Virgin and they said they would get a guy out this morning, more on that later.

Meanwhile during the weekend I continued using the PC without access to the internet but then last night I got the following error message;

ATI2dvag File The device got stuck in an infinte loop.

A whole load of numbers followed this and it was all on a blue screen, after that it would only let me start the PC in safe mode.

I made a guess that that meant my graphics card was in trouble?

Anyway the Virgin man turned up this morning and tested my modem, I explained the PC would be in safe mode but he said that shouldn't make any difference to him. He said my modem wasn't working correctly and anyway was not a good enough modem for a 20MB speed in the first place! So he fitted a brand new modem, a stand up one with blue lights everywhere and he confirmed that everything was connected and working but when we tried to connect to the internet as before we got the same message, couldn't connect!

He then tried to run a suggested check but that wouldn't run and when he went into control panel to check network connections the box was completely empty! He basically then did a runner saying that as the PC was running in safe mode he couldn't check anything and therefore he'd done his bit by connecting the new modem but couldn't do any more!

After he left I restarted the new PC and lo and behold it did not insist on me starting in safe mode, it let me start normally. However I still can't connect to the internet!

I have checked the network connections box and the modem is showing up as a Realtec and 1Gbmb and as far as I can see everything is there and running correctly but it's still not letting me connect!

In the back of my mind I still have suspicions about the Zone Alarm download I did on Friday. Zone Alarm does not seem to be letting me run a scan either but as I can't get on to the internet I can't download a quick scan programme although I'm at work now with a memory stick at hand so if somebody can recommend a programm I'd be grateful!

it's very frustrating, I have a brand new modem all set up and apparetntly working correctly, my pc says I'm connected etc but it's not letting me connect!

Also any one have any ideas about the error message saying sile ATI2dvag was in a infinite loop? It seems to have cleared now but that was the fault restricting me to safe mode for a while, it seems to have cleared with the installing of the new modem but was it anything to do with my graphics card?

Many thanks

Like this post
yahwob

Likes # 0

I had a programm called something like Malware Alert, trouble was when I tried to use it it said it was 300 days out of date and it tried to update itself but ofcourse couldn't as it couldn't access the web!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Are you using an ethernet cable for connection or are you connected by wireless.

If by wireless see if you can connect wired using the ethernet cable.

If it does not connect turn the modem off for a minute then on again.

I take it it is one of those modern Modem wireless boxes that you got.

Even if connected by cable try switching the modem off for a minute to see if it helps.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Malware Alert sounds a bit iffy.maybe download and run Malwarebytes just to check that your computer is clean.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It may offer you the pro version for a fortnight when you download the free version.Take it.

Another thing to try is Type problems in the start box and it gives you loads of things to try including network connection.

Like this post
yahwob

Likes # 0

Hi,

Well was on the phone to Virgin tech support last night for 45 minutes. The guy was very good and took me through every scenario possible including resetting the modem at least twice but the upshot of it all is it still dosent work!

Apparently he is sending me a new super hub,(whatever that is) and if that dosen't work he thinks it's probably my network adapater.

Funny thing was I realised afterwards that he never once asked me about firewalls, Zone Alarm etc, maybe he didn't think it important.

To cap it all I could only operate in safe mode again. I did download and put the latest driver suite on a memory stick from work but when I tried to install it at home the file which detects earlier versions of the driver failed to load so that didn't work either!

I guess I'll wait for this super hub and try that although I'm not optomistic.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try clicking on the network connection on the Taskbar and selecting open network and sharing center.

Click on Local area connection.And click on properties.

Click on internet protocol version 4 tcp/ipv4 just to highlight it,Then click on properties.check to see if your IP address is set to 192.168,1.3

If so reset it to 192.168.1.2

For some reason my connection was changed last week and I could not connect to the Internet using Virginmedia and that was my problem.

Oops that's where I had to go to change my IP connection.

Having one of my blank days again don't remember where I got my IP Connection from on the computer now.Will check back if I remember.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This was from my old thread last week.

Ok.Looks like I managed to fix it.It was a bad DNS address.

I tried resetting the DNS manually and I have been putting down the settings on the computer that it gave.

It showed the IPv4 address as 192.168.1.3 and I thought that was the proper address to put in.

Decided to try it again this morning when I got it to connect through Hitmanpro and the IPv4 address had changed to 192.168.1.2.

Thought that I would give that a go to see if it made any difference and Bingo it works so far.

Rebooted 3 or 4 times and it still works.At least I know what to try now if it happens again. It was set to automatic before.

Found this on one of the other forums.

http://www.rizonesoft.com/2011/complete-internet-repair/

I have never used it before but it said just to tick the box or boxes that you require and not to tick them all.

So I would leave that as a last resort.

See if you can find tour IP Address on the computer just to check to see if it is ok.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it was me I'd completely remove Zone Alarm as my first test. See Sea Urchin's link and try the manual method first. I don't know about the special uninstaller but you could download that and save to another PC then transfer over using a flash drive or CD and run it. At least you can either rule out ZA or see if it was the fault. If still no connection after uninstall see if IE can diagnose and correct the fault.

Like this post
yahwob

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it :)

I'm 90% sure that my IP address was 192.168.1.2, I'm at work now so can't check.

I was going to try and unistall Zone Alarm but after I'd finished with Virgin I wasn't in the mood!

I'm going to take an old works PC home tonight and plug that in and see if I can get online using that. Not sure what it will prove but I'll give it a go.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Well, it would at least show that there was nothing wrong with your Internet connection if you can get online.

Like this post
yahwob

Likes # 0

True

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made