We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Privacy Policy

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Not a question, just an observation for those of you who have been following the Google Privacy Policy story. My wife and I have been looking for a house in Scotland which has, of course, involved extensive Googling. One of the properties we found suffered from Japanese Knotweed.

Now, knotweed isn't something most people are thinking about much - some of you reading it may never even have heard of it. It's not something people talk about all the time.

So: imagine my surprise, when I started to watch a random YouTube football video, to find at the bottom of the screen.... ... an advert for knotweed treatment and removal.

It's spooky stuff. The targeted ads that come with Gmail I've got used to, but this 'cross platform' information sharing takes it to another level.

I don't think I'm worried.

Yet.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Go to Google">https://www.google.com/dashboard/?hl=en&followup=https://www.google.com/dashboard/?hl=en&hl=en">Google Dashboard and there you can delete your history and pause it, if you wish, on the different Google apps.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was recently searching for electric basses, and now every page I search seems to have ads for those on the side.

I'm not sure weather to be amused or annoyed, but I can say that it wouldn't have influenced me to make purchase or not. If I was going to buy I would already have done so. So, are the advertisers really getting any value for money this way from idle wish list searches?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Some one recently posted a link for Do Not Track+ on here. See Click here

I suspect regardless of what your google and other settings are, DNT+ will go some way to thwarting these guys. Certainly, Google Analytics is one tracker that appears in DNT+s lists over and over again (especially as I'm using Chrome).

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Even on a short visit now to this PCA site, DNT+ has stopped 11 tracking "cookies"

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

I am thinking of downloading DNT+ to use with Google chrome, but have read on another site that it installs a search engine Blekko which takes over your search engine,and is impossible to uninstall can any one here who uses DNT+ with Google Chrome offer any help please.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

No Blekko installed.

See the postings on this download site CNET. Maybe that's what you saw, but if you read the responses therein you will see that the original poster got it wrong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made