We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Advanced Search - where's it gone?

polymath
Resolved

Likes # 0

Google is the most useful home page for me, and there used to be an Advanced Search button next to the main Google search box. Then they changed it to an option via the cog button at the top right, but now that's disappeared. To use Advanced Search, I now have to type something (say, 1 letter) into the basic search box to get a page where I can see the cog, press it, select Advanced Search, and then delete from Advanced Search whatever word(s) Google has guessed I was going to search on.

Anyone know how to revert to a quicker way, apart from making Advanced Search my homepage (which I'd prefer not to, ideally)? I know I could use quotes, 'and', 'or' etc in the basic search box, but I usually want to specify time, region etc as well.

I've fixed this problem before, but can't remember the answer or find where I found it; I probably assumed it was fixed for good!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I still have it on the cog next to sign in - Win 7 64bit.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try deleting all cookies and it may reset the page with the missing links.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I don't use Google UK but had a go and I have to do exactly the same to get to the advanced search menu. Haven't seen any options to change it yet. Using Google.com the tool icon is still on the top right, http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en .

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

When I said I still have it I was referring to Internet Explorer. If you are using Firefox you can download an add-on for Advanced Search enter link description here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just found that if you're signed in to gmail on another tab and use Google UK then the tool icon is hidden by your gmail addy on the right.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Wow - thank you both for your help, and so quickly too!

I'm in Ireland, so Google was defaulting to Google.ie - behaves the same in every country I suppose. (I've tried many times to go to (simply) Google.com, but it won't let me, and alway goes to .ie).

I happened to look at rdave13's link to start with, and it worked. I've now made it my home page. (I'm keeping all the suggestions here for future reference).

In case it helps anyone, I use Vista Home Premium (32-bit), default browser Firefox (and accept all software updates as soon as I can). Next stop Internet Explorer, to change the Google home page there.

I'm forever struggling these days to get search results based on the keywords I choose to use, rather than my location etc; who knows, maybe this'll help with that too!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Slightly off-topic, but you reminded me of something I've meant to look at for a while. I travel regularly to The Netherlands, and trying to go to google.com ends me up with google.nl. But if you try for a country-specific site - like google.co.uk - you can do that.

There's an interesting thread here:

https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/websearch/how-do-iusing-google-search/ovzMVjObXDw

and it certainly seems as if

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en

works. If I search for a 'worldwide' term like 'Bedford' using the.com address above, I get a very different set of results to what I get if I use google.co.uk.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks Ian - useful stuff to add to the armoury! And including a fix that works on the sponsored results also. That's not important in my case, as I just ignore them (e.g. if I've just bought a printer, they suggest that what I need to buy next is a printer).

Forgot to say I also steer clear of Google Plus; Google Minus is more like it for me (though I can see its features for smartphones might win the day, if I lived somewhere where I could use one).

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

I'd also somehow lost the ability to just press the Enter key to go to a website (instead of using the Go button). It came back when I changed my Google front page as above - could there be a connection?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features