We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

continual malware issues

westgolf

Likes # 0

My new desktop PC runs windows 7.Every time I log into my tiscali web based email account I pick up malware & the account freezes.I run Spybot (as administrator) & it identifies & says it removes the 3 offending items - but they effect my account again as soon as I log out & then rejoin the internet.Any ideas please ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What are the names of the 3 offending items?

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Could be a DNS hijack , have a look in the properties for your internet connection . Open Network and Sharing Centre and on the left of the page click on Manage Network Connections . Right click on the one your PC uses to connect , and select " properties " Click on the Networking tab and make sure all of the entries are set to " Obtain automatically " whether it be Ip addresses for IPv4 or v6 and the same for DNS .

Ashley
Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

My account is set-up with Tiscali, and over the past few days I am having problems with their webmail service, because the screen appears to freeze, to the point that I cannot open or delete email. I was not able to get into my account details as well.

Contacted TalkTalk support, after I started to get ' Could not connect to the specified server'. They have run a check and found that their server is playing up, and it should be corrected within 48/72 hours.

So perhaps your problem is not malware, but with the Tiscali/TalkTalk server?.

Would mention that they had the same problem a few weeks ago, and it took a few days to cure.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

The malware items are ; double click, fast click, media plex & web trends ? all the same issues today - but I notice that other users are having issues specific to tiscali / talktalk ? I wonder if this is actually my problems ?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"The malware items are ; double click, fast click, media plex & web trends...."

Ah, those are almost certainly "tracking cookies" rather than a harmful malware infection. Those cookies can't harm you or your PC in any way and most folks get them. You could just carry on as you are and let Spybot remove them periodically, or if you're running Internet Explorer, then I can give you a tip on how to block those types of cookies entering your PC in the first place.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have found that Superantispyware (free) finds and removes ad aware tracking cookies (marginally better than Malawarebytes on this point). Re Secret Squirel's point, on IE9 I clicked on Tools/safety/tracking protection. I have Abine's standard tracking protection list and Eastlist . These have reduced the incidence of ad aware tracking cookies.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thanks for this.Will try the IE9 method.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Westgolf, I've always found this to be an effective way to block those pesky tracking cookies:

Go into IE's Internet Options -> "Privacy" tab -> "Advanced" button. Tick the option to override automatic cookie handling then set the radio buttons to accept first-party cookies but block third-party ones. Apply your changes and exit.

After SpyBot has zapped any remaining tracking cookies, I'm hoping that you won't pick up any more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014