We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thinking about buying an SSD

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm thinking about buying as SSD. Im not to sure what make to buy and size,also how to install one correctly ,ie updating the firmware,changing the bios to achieve . Plus I've read that SSD dives suffer from bsod . Any advice and guides about SSD would be appreciated ,also any recommendations and personal experiences I've using a SSD. Thanks

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Typo Changing the bios to ahci

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

SSD's are dropping in price pretty rapidly and average about £1 a GB. I have two an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB and a Crucial 300. I bought the original Vertex purely as a boot/programs drive with everything else on a Sata HDD.

I used this meathod to move all MY folders from the SSD to the larger Sata HDD.

Step1: open ‘My Computer

’ Step2: open ‘C:

Step3: open ‘Users’

Step4: open {username}

Step5: right click on ‘My Documents’

Step6: select properties

Step7: select location tab

Step8: select move button

Step9: locate the drive you want to move it to, and create a new folder called ‘My Documents’

Step10: highlight the new folder, and click select folder

It will ask if you want to move the contents to the new folder say yes and your away.

Just repeat the above steps for each folder you want to move.This way if you do by a smaller boot drive it will not get filled quickly with normal day to day files.My Steam folder,containing 84 games is also on the bigger drive which makes Re-installing Windows 7 very easy should I upgrade the mobo very easy as I just have to repair Steam and my games are up and running.

The Crucial I bought because they were having a sale and flogging perfect refurbs for £40 so keep that as a spare.

As for tweaks:SSD optimization. But just Google and there are plenty of tips out there.

Not sure what you mean by SSD's suffering from BSOD's any details?

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help so far,much appreciated.i was thinking of buying an ocz SSD,and went to their forum.i read threads regarding bsod ,must were addressed my updating the firmware . Not to sure how one updates the fm on a ocz SSD,do you do it before you install w7'after,or connect it as an external drive then update. Any more advice is appreciated . Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

All you need to know here: OCZ toolbox.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I have been thinking for some time of moving over at least for my windows install & main documents. I think its perhaps the time to research this, the OCZ drives do look most impressive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow