We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Much apreciated advice on PC build.

johnski15
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am looking to build my own PC (for the very 1st time) and need some advice and input with regards to good value and performance.

I have been looking at a Palicomp i5 supreme (got awards and so forth, but some reviews say they use cheap HDD's and RAM) - which is the sort of PC I am aiming for - around £500-£600!

Basically, I will be using the PC for MS Office type operations and Web browsing...No gaming whatsoever.

However, I do want a fast machine as any form of waiting drives me nuts...my current PC is a 5 year old Packard Bell, Intel core 2 duo and is as fast as my Granddad (he's been dead 25 years!!) - It is taking an age to start up and web browsing is becoming slower.

I have done a bit of research and come up with this stuff...Please, let me know where to source these as cheap as possible...

1. Case and PSU:

Coolermaster Sileo 500 with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU: This is on Special offer on ebuyer at £95.78 - is this good value? I really like the look of this case; I also like the look of the much cheaper Coolermaster Elite 330 as well.

1. Motherboard:

Asus P8Z68-V LX (Have read Asus are bang on and are reliable - Do you recon that the onboard graphics will suffice for me?).

1. Processor:

I would love the Intel i5 2500....Cheapest place to buy? Do I need the i5 2500?

1. Processor cooling/Case cooling

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (maybe??). Case fans???

1. RAM (DDR3 1333MHz??):

I would love 8 GB (SPEED)! What brand??? Corsair??

1. Graphics Card:

Needed or not?

1. HDD

I would like 1TB SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache - Any recommendations?? (Seagate??)

1. DVD RW/Blu-ray:

Recommendations??

1. Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Full DVD version

Where to get this cheap??

Finally - do I need anything else?

I would really love some advice on this as I am a little nervous in attempting to build for the 1st time and want to get it right...and save some money in the process!

I am ok with tools...and have had a look on YouTube etc...So feel it is possible for me to do....and put in the components I want not some cheap it will do stuff!!

Many thanks in advance....John

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

MS Office type operations and Web browsing...No gaming whatsoever.

Your Intel core 2 duo should do that easily perhaps all you need is to clear out the rubbish to speed it up

But it sounds more like your hankering after a new machine :0)

Like this post  
ICF

Likes # 0

I have the coolermaster Elite 330 with the 2500k and the artic cooler freezer pro.The cooler and CPU work well together keeps it cool and not much noise.The case is a budget case but it does the job and looks ok for the money.It has plenty of room and positions for three cooling fans.Do you really need a blue ray player they are expensive compared to a DVD drive.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Most important question to answer is what is your budget?

Like this post
johnski15

Likes # 0

I've got approx £500 to spend.

Like this post
johnski15

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat:

Your Intel core 2 duo should do that easily perhaps all you need is to clear out the rubbish to speed it up

But it sounds more like your hankering after a new machine :0)

Can you please advise me on what I can 'clear out' of my system without any detrimental effect.

I bascially use MS office, picassa, Web browser...Done!!

Many thanks, John

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad