We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Calendar terms

Gary Wood

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me where I can find the full T&C for Google Calendar? I can only find general Google T&C, and these include the following rather worrying statement:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Of course, I don't want Google to use my calendar data in this way, though I suspect Calendar data may be excluded through the 'Additional Terms'. However, I can't find these anywhere to check.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you want this Google Privacy Policy

Like this post
Gary Wood

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell.

I've looked over this, but it still doesn't address my concern, because it seems to relate only to my personal information (name, contact details, etc). What I need to know is that if I put my calendar data into a Google calender, this information will be private to me, and will not be shared or displayed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Under Google Calendar settings you can choose to share your calendar with someone else by invite. As far as I am aware if you do not share then no one else can see your calendar. I am pretty sure that my calendar details, as are my google e-mails, are kept private protected by my password.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
Gary Wood

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woolwell.

I've looked at these links, but I'm still unsure about this. The Privacy settings to which these links/posts refer control how other Google users see your data, so if you set it to be private, only you can see your calendar, contacts, etc.

However, clause 11 of Google's general terms appear to suggest that it can access the data you store, and you're agreeing to give them the rights to do so, and to use these data, even though your retain the rights in it. This is clearly very worrying, and I don't want to use Google Calendar, if this is correct.

That said, there is the statement that says that certain aspects of the terms may be superceded by the "Additional Terms" of each individual Google product. I wonder if there's a statement in the Calendar terms that clarifies whether or not they will access/use data, which is why I'm looking for these, but I can't find the additional terms anywhere.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you may be over reacting. As far as I am aware there have been no reports of security breaches such as you envisage. However a Google employee could access the data however I think that it will come under their privacy policy for personal information. From Google: Personal information: “Personal information” is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, email address or billing information, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by Google.

However I don't think that I would put anything that I considered to be sensitive on the cloud. I do keep appointments and events on Google Calendar which then syncs with Outlook and my smartphone but it does not contain who would be attending meetings for example.

I suggest that you contact Google for further clarification.

Like this post
Gary Wood

Likes # 0

Just for completeness, in case anyone else is intersted in this thread in the future, Google has changed the links on the Calendar login page, and it now has more detailed information about how they will use the data:

Google does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload, transmit or store in your Google Calendar account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service.

This addresses my concerns with the original post and confirms that Google will not display or use the data other than to allow users to access their service.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad