We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I get internet on my lap top?

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I can get internet on my mobile phone and was just wondering if I can get internet on my laptop by connecting my mobile phone to the lap top.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Yes you can, but I have to go out now, someone may respond to you before I get back.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

see here

However be aware of how much it will cost to use you phone this way.

Like this post
geek84

Likes # 0

Hi

Would I need to pay? I thought it would be free because I would be paying for the internet access on my mobile phone.

If I need to pay, how can I find out how much I will need to pay?

Thank You

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I thought it would be free because I would be paying for the internet access on my mobile phone.

you will be paying for the call to the isp

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I use PAYG on T-mobile on my phone and I pay £20 for six months access to the internet. It has been useful coupling my laptop to the phone to gain access to the Internet when, say on holiday. There is probably a limit to the amount that I can download but for occasional internet usage it is OK.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What you can do will also depend on the type of phone and your provider. Many "smart phones" will connect with HSDPA or 3G and then act as a WiFi Hotspot for access by a Laptop, Netbook etc. The phone is effectively a wireless router.

The "O2" and "3" networks allow this without extra charge, Orange and T-Mobile charge extra, with Orange only allowing iPhone users to do it. Vodafone's stance is less clear. This is from a BBC Click article which, to be fair, is a couple of months old now.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not sure about Orange charging extra. I tether my android mobile to my laptop by usb and can use it to access the internet. I can also use my phone as a wifi hotspot (it uses up the battery a lot) and connect my ipad. I haven't been charged extra by Orange perhaps because I have an uncapped data allowance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED