We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Hotmail server doesn't delete POP email until you Change Settings

lotvic
Resolved

Likes # 0

Not a problem that I'm needing to solve - more a heads up if you didn't know about it.

Although I have set Outlook Express to delete Hotmail pop email from server after 14 days, I have discovered that Windows Live Hotmail does not do that. On logging in to Windows Live Hotmail server I am told:

*"Your messages are in your POP folder! Some other program is set to download and delete your messages from Hotmail. Just in case this was an accident, we've put them in a special POP folder. Not an accident? Change settings "*

So it seems that instead of deleting emails it puts them in another folder until I change the settings on the Windows Live Hotmail server.

Upon opening folder 'POP', I get:

*"What's in this folder? These are the messages that you downloaded to another program using POP. If you'd like downloaded messages to be permanently deleted, you can change your settings "*

I find I have hundreds of emails there that I thought had been deleted after the 14 days (my setting in Outlook Express) and gone for ever..... Hmmmm... I've now got to change the settings on the server.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

just posting so that I get the tick to click as resolved

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED