We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Compaq Laptop - 250Gb HDD shows as 40Gb

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Been given the ladptop to clean out as it's passing from teenager to mum. Ran all the usual. When I looked at My Computer, saw that the C drive plus the D recovery totalled in the order of 40Gb. The HDD is a 250 Gb one. Any thoughts, please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try windirstat

It will show what is on the drive. Be careful if you use the program to delete anything as it will also delete Windows files!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

windirstat shows the same. Wondering if it's a BIOS prob, but I can't get into BIOS with F10.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Right Click My Computer/Manage/Disc Management check what drives are displayed, then check Win Explorer by Click Win Key Plus E key to see how many drives show

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks Woodchip - I'm in the middle of an Easy Transfer at the moment, with a view to a Restore to Factory Settings. Will see, in the morning, how that's worked out.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. Took the drive out and put it in a caddy on my PC. Again shows only around 40Gb capacity. Is it possible for a drive to 'lose' so much?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

What's the model number of this Compaq laptop?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

6735s - 4Gb RAM, Vista Home Premium. Virtually no documents, pictures or videos. Just opened Disc Management as suggested by Woodchip. Along with C: 32Gb, HP Tools 1.0Gb and HP Recovery 9.0Gb, there is 190Gb 'unallocated'. I guess that's my missing space, so how do I merge it with C please.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"there is 190Gb 'unallocated'. I guess that's my missing space, so how do I merge it with C please."

In the Disk Management console, is the unallocated space adjacent to the C: partition? If it is then you can use Vista's "Extend Volume" feature by right-clicking the C: drive.

If it's not then I can recommend a free third-party utility to do the job.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks SS. It was adjacent, and the partition is now resized. For future reference, was the soft ware you were going to recommend Easeus? I wonder why the partition was the size it was (perhaps the teenager had been fiddling!).

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

He may have set it small for fast backups of the Operating System, then Custom Load Software Programs to bigger Partition on Drive after creating one

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?