We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email number limits

Derwent Motorsport

Likes # 0

I am secretary of a club and we wish to start sending our magazine out via email. However my ISP (Orange) will not let me send more than 20 emails in a batch and despite asking them (and indeed threatending to change ISP) they won't change that limit. Do other ISPs have a limit, or if so what is the solution? We would be sending about 360 emails. Thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

ISP's view too many emails sent together as possible SPAM. That is obviously the policy of Orange and can't simply change it to suit individuals. I don't know about other ISP's but they may have similar policies.

The only way open to you is to send them in batches of 20 (or less) and my advice would be for you to do that as I don't think you have an alternative. I think there may be a way around it if you are prepared to pay but I am unsure about that. Maybe someone else will know more about this than I do.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's normal, ISP's set a limit for home users (not business accounts). If you think about it, it makes sense both in server traffic bottlenecks and to stop spamming (virus, malware spreading and taking over PCs and sending to all in contacts list which would soon overload the servers and grind the Internet to a halt if there was no limit)

Most home users just send in batches according to the terms set out by their ISP's

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you are the secretary of a club then you can consider setting up a domain name for the club and using its webmail to send. Alternatively use Google mail but beware there is a limit on how many can be sent at once (500) and especially if any bounce back which lowers the limit to 100. This is all to protect from spam.

If you do a search for bulk e-mail marketing then you will find other ways of doing it too but usually at a cost.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

There is nothing to stop you from installing and running your own SMTP server. This free one from Softstack is good and it's only 619kB, but there can be a problem. Some recipient ISPs may "greylist" messages that haven't come from the IP address of a dedicated SMTP server.

When a sender is "greylisted", the message is rejected the first time it is sent. Because spam isn't resent, it disappears. If genuine mail is resent, it should be accepted the second time of sending. That's the theory anyway.

You could try using your own SMTP server and if only a handful of recipients don't accept the messages, use your normal ISP system to send theirs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)